Clay Westbrook's Reviews > Human: Finding myself in the autism spectrum

Human by Warren Mayocchi

This book is indispensable for anyone seeking to understand the thought processes and behavior of Asperger's Syndrome. Mayocchi vividly describes the day-to-day "grind" life becomes when people and society don't make any sense.

Mayocchi's story has a lesson for everyone, regardless of whether you are interested in autism, or affected by someone with it, or suffering from it: if you spend every day doing things that make you miserable because you think you're supposed to and have no other choice, it will break you. Most people, in my experience, never learn this lesson. This book is your opportunity.

What I like most about this book is Mayocchi's unashamed honesty. And this book isn't a memoir of a functioning autistic who overcomes all the obstacles to become a rock-and-roll star, or a billionaire, or a famous inventor or an olympic gold medalist. His story is the story of the rest of us -- overcoming all the obstacles to simply understand that there's a reason we are how we are, that we belong, and that we are, despite all the evidence our logical mind can muster, human after all.

The story has several hilarious moments and many deeply moving moments. Also after 48 years I FINALLY learned what the expression "a stitch in time saves nine" means! That was always perplexing.

This book compelling enough for me to write my first Goodreads review. Enough said.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Human.

October 11, 2016 – Started Reading