Rebecca N. McKinnon's Reviews > Affinity

liked it
bookshelves: lgbtq-elements, historical, lit-fic
Recommended for: Lily Peters
Read from June 01 to 06, 2011 — I own a copy

I read Sarah Waters' "Affinity" for an Approaches to Literary Interpretation course. Waters studied Victorian Lit at the postgraduate level, and her writing style shows a learned sophistication and intelligence that only such an education could provide. To read "Affinity" is to travel back in time, to enter into an ideological adventure that is both enjoyable and unyieldingly specific to the Victorian time period. Within this adventure, the domination of unique characters under unique circumstances never fails to engage. Throughout my reading, Waters offered me a small window into the lives of Margaret and Selina, subtly foreshadowing events which still managed to surprise. The unraveling mystery of Selina's past and present intentions kept me flipping pages quickly. A second read is in order, as my engagement with the plot may have possibly superseded some of Waters' more beautiful descriptions and literary devices. I recommend "Affinity" to all who enjoy great literature by modern authors.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Affinity.

02/13/2016 marked as: read