Jill's Reviews > Devil at My Heels: A Heroic Olympian's Astonishing Story of Survival as a Japanese POW in World War II

Devil at My Heels by Louis Zamperini

Jun 20, 2011

bookshelves: biography, history, non-fiction
Recommended for: WWII buffs, history buffs, anyone who read and enjoyed Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand

Laura Hillenbrand's Unbroken (previously reviewed) piqued my interest in the story of Louis Zamperini, so when I found that he had actually published his autobiography in 2003, of course I had to read it. Unbroken was an excellent book and very well-researched, however it seemed to lack Mr. Zamperini's thoughts, feelings, point of view, and it was that omission I was seeking to fill by reading this book. To some extent that was accomplished, and I enjoyed the book, however it included very few details not included in Unbroken, and in fact didn't seem nearly as in-depth as Unbroken. That said, it was fascinating to read Mr. Zamperini's take on the events of his life. However I came away from this with the feeling that the author and subject of this book, being a very private person, kept much to himself. Understandably, but in an autobiography it seems to shortchange the reader a bit. However, it was a good book, certainly worth the time I spent reading it, and I would recommend it to anyone who read Unbroken and came away wanting more. Just be forewarned that you won't get as much more as you wanted.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Devil at My Heels.

message 1: by Eric_W (new)

Eric_W This is interesting since Hillebrand's book is based almost entirely on interviews with Zamperini which, I thought, made Unbroken too much from his perspective rather than a broader picture.