Patricio's Reviews > Cujo

Cujo by Stephen King

bookshelves: favorites

«But in high school the business of irrevocable choices began. Doors slipped shut with a faint locking click that was only heared clearly in the dreams of later years.»

People who haven't read Cujo probably only know about the mad murdering dog premise, but Cujo is actually more than that.
This is a peculiar King's novel because the horror doesn't come plainly from demons or any other supernatural element nor from the Saint Bernard (only partially), but from the human mind.

The narrative switches between the story of two families, the Trentons and the Cambers. Each of the Trentons is going through different issues - Tad has been tormented by a monster that lives inside his closet, Vic's advertisement company is going through some problems, and Donna, his wife, has recently cheated on him. The Cambers' story, on the other hand, is focused on Charity, who's afraid her son will become like his father, so when she wins the lottery, she decides to withdraw with Brett for a week.
They also own Cujo.

The beginning was slow because this story was very character driven, but while the families' dramas were explored, each character was also developed.
Vic's company story bored me to death, to be honest, and that didn't engage me in the story at first, but when King switched between Donna's POV, glimpses of Cujo following a rabbit, Charity's inner struggles and Cujo getting rabies, I was deeply immersed in the story.

What I loved the most in Cujo, besides the great moments of horror created with Cujo eating humans and the power of the human mind to develop (realistic) horror, was the chain of coincidences that not only connected all the storylines, but also lead to a tragic event because it was believable. Something like this could totally happen, and adding what our mind can imagine in edgy, terrible situations to that, this novel was phenomenal. It was really entertaining and shocking.

I hadn't realized I was so emotionally attached to the characters until the last pages, where the book got very emotional and dark. I loved that.
Although Cujo had one of my favorite endings of all King's novels I've read so far, its slow pace and brutal switches between some deep horror scenes to lighter ones - which sometimes disturbed the intensity of the narrative - made me knock off a star.

(I don't think I can actually rate this book fairly, because it probably deserved 4,5 stars, but the most important is that I loved it. Enjoying books is more important that rating them.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cujo.

Quotes Patricio Liked

Stephen King
“But in high school the business of irrevocable choices began. Doors slipped shut with a faint locking click that was only heared clearly in the dreams of later years.”
tags: fate

Stephen King
“The monster nevers dies.”

Stephen King
“All the logic in the world could not blunt the pain. Logic could not blunt her terrible sense of personal failure. Only time would do those things, and time would do an imperfect job.”
tags: time

April 19, 2018 –
page 333
April 20, 2018 – Finished Reading
April 25, 2018 – Shelved as: favorites

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Alyssa Finnegan I didn't like this one when I read it back in high school, but I'm glad tou enjoyed!

Patricio Alyssa wrote: "I didn't like this one when I read it back in high school, but I'm glad tou enjoyed!"

A shame you didn't, but I think I can understand why!