Elaine's Reviews > Readicide: How Schools Are Killing Reading and What You Can Do About It

Readicide by Kelly Gallagher

I have mixed feelings about this book. The problem is I completely agree with what the author has to say (with one exception, that I'll address later). I believe Gallagher is preaching to the choir. The people who read this book are already going to be interested in reading and the growing trend of illiteracy amongst our students. They do not need convincing that students need to read more.

Once I got past that though, I felt he had some really useful methods of assisting students in understanding difficult texts. I particularly liked his idea of bringing in current articles that address the theme of a book prior to the students reading the book.

I also agreed with his statement that the point is not that all the students like a particular book. The point is that they get something from it.

And the one exception I mentioned is he believes that the students should not be expected to use the library. He thinks the books should be available primarily in the classroom.

As a school librarian, I agree that all classes should have a well stocked library. However, there is no way a classroom can encompass the thousands of books that the library can offer.

Perhaps the students won't be bothered to come to the library to check out books on their own . . . so bring them! Give them time in the library to browse and read. That is the point after all.

Okay, rant over.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Readicide.

June 20, 2011 – Started Reading