T.B. Cooper's Reviews > The Guitarist

The Guitarist by Lindy S. Hudis

This review is for “The Guitarist” by Lindy S. Hudis

I loved the premise, the ending was nice… I just would have preferred the book to be a bit longer, to add some more back story and details.

Plot: The plot, the setting, perfect. Think 80s big hair rock bands. There were absolutely no plot holes, although some things were mentioned about another band member, that were never elaborated on.

Characters: Diego– a.k.a.– a Rock God, is tired of the groupie love scene and wants something more. For a short story, he is developed well enough, as are his fellow band members, supporting characters, and of course – his mysterious lady love interest.

The Writing: The writing needed polishing… It was easy to ignore the mistakes, but not to overlook them. Still, even with the overly colorful descriptions and repetitive groupie scenes, the story still managed to keep its fast-pace & my attention, from start to finish. Quick read.

In Case You Wanted to Know: If you lived through the 80s, and saw GNR trip up the stairs to accept an award, or dreamed of being Tawny on the hood of Whitesnake's car, then nothing about this book will surprise you. Groupies are usually DTF, drugs surround rock 'n roll, and F-bombs are the descriptive words of choice… Also, if you are thinking there is a lot of violence, there's not – there's “ouch!”- violence, but nothing that feels or ends up being, life-threatening.

Overall: Don't get me wrong. I enjoyed the story. I read it straight through and never once felt like putting it down. I'm giving it a four because I was hoping it would have a bit more of a mystery to it. I was hoping it would be a little less transparent. And I guess ultimately, with the way I read the synopsis – I really wanted some “murder/death/kill” in there…a dead body – whodunit, mixed with a trapped lover in need of rescue – – more! I wanted more story. All in all, this was a delightful read. Like a sexy twist/variation of “Tenacious D and the Pick of Destiny” – but with way more sex and no Strawberry Rivers, and with a hero more like Slash, than Jack Black! Although I've always preferred Axl! ;)

*I received an advanced copy of this story, in exchange for my honest review.

*This book review format is copied and used by permission, from awesome Amazon user: DeeArr1

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Guitarist.

October 10, 2016 – Started Reading