Home. Love. Books.'s Reviews > Lessons in Gravity

Lessons in Gravity by Megan Westfield

Oct 11, 2016

photo synopsisgraphic.png

I can honestly say I haven't read any romances with climbing involved. Sure I've read books with some of the more adventurous sports, like snowboarding, motor biking, etc but never anything with rock climbing. I think the reason why this book appealed to me so much is two fold, one I kind of have this idea in my head that rock climbers are somewhat fearless and I want to be more like that, and two I am planning a move to Montana and let's face it there is probably some awesome rock climbing out that way so I want to learn before I move.

One thing I appreciated about this book was that even though climbing was the back drop for the entire book, the author did a great job at getting me understand enough of it to get what was going on, but didn't overload me to the point where I got confused (seeing as how I have no experience). The author also did a really good job at describing the scene, I could picture the meadow where they met for interviews, the area where they did the final climb, and the little lake they would take a frozen dip in when they finished a climb. I love when I can see it in my head.

Josh and April as characters were both pretty interesting. You get a much better feel for April early on in the book, it is her POV after all. But she really interesting and complex, her dad was a stunt pilot who died in a stunt gone wrong, so you would think she would have a natural aversion to daredevils, but she is really willing to do whatever she needs to in order to pursue her dreams of being a documentary film maker. I liked how dedicated she was, how emotionally she was involved not just in Josh, but also her work. She was just easy to like and root for.

Josh was harder to get to know. At first he comes of as a guy who is the rock star of the climbing world, and also has the groupies to show for that status. But he also seems to be more than a little reserved, especially when it comes to being in front of the camera and answering questions for April. But as the story goes on you really get much more of a sense of Josh, he may come off like he doesn't care about anything, but he's very serious about his job as a climber, and he also carries some heartache along with him that really influences the way that he lives his life. I do wish I got to be in his head, just a little bit, but overall I really liked him. I also think he was just the right person for April to really deal with the things in her life that she hadn't been up until then. They really suited each other well.

Overall, I really liked this book. I thought it was really just like a breath of fresh air. It's not often I get to read about a topic that I haven't read before, I tend to stick to the same stuff, so it's always refreshing to step outside the norm. I can't wait to try out climbing now, and this book is a very easy recommendation to give.

photo synopsisgraphic.png
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lessons in Gravity.

October 11, 2016 – Started Reading