Shdnx's Reviews > Stolen

Stolen by Kelley Armstrong

Jun 20, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, about-shapeshifters, about-werewolves, about-magic, paranormal
Recommended for: Bitten fans who desperately want more

I have enjoyed the book, although it's not nearly as good as Bitten, the first book of the series was. It clearly set up a world for a series - a pretty unoriginal world, to be fair, with nothing too fancy: demons, witches, vampires and of course, the werewolves. However, it is a more realistic world in a sense that all these supernatural "races" are rare and also that none of them is demigod-powerful (as opposed to the creatures of the Mercedes Thompson series, for instance).

The story is decent, fairly interesting, but again, nothing groundbreaking. The book does have its moments, but still, I expected more. Elena takes her captivity very well, we don't see her struggling too much, as if she believes to be indestructible.

The characters are simply shallow. We have our share of dumb people, then we have the evil people, there are the tranquil, sometimes naive white witches, and so on. Basically all new characters can be easily categorized as either one of these stereotypes, and they really don't do anything that would defy their major traits. There is really no controversy, no depth to any one of them. Even the characters from Bitten - Elena, Clay and Jeremy - remain absolutely the same, we don't get to know them more, and there's certainly no character development.

That's pretty much everything there is to it. Overall, Stolen is a light, entertaining read - just make sure you don't expect too much of it after the excellent first book.
I'll give the third book, Dime Store Magic, a try later - I have to admit, I've lost my interest in this world for now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stolen.

message 1: by Katamanó (new)

Katamanó I am a bit sad now coz i am waiting this book so much. But after what you' ve wrote about it, i really don'T know when should i start it. I hope you will like the third book more, and Armstrong find a way back to herself, and forget the usual ways. She can do differently, so she should do it in that kind of way and be proud of it.