Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy ⚓️'s Reviews > Wolfsong

Wolfsong by T.J. Klune

5 "Candy Canes and Pine Cones and Epic and Awesome" Stars

description

I originally read this book in preparation for a giveaway over on the blog; but rest assured, said giveaway had NOTHING to do with me giving this bad boy 5 big ones.

If it had sucked, I would have rated it however many "suck" stars it deserved, written a semi-diplomatic "this thing sucked" review...

And then still done my blog-wife duty and shamelessly plugged the giveaway.

But thank fuck I didn't have to do that.

description

Because this thing was awesome.

Before this book, I had never read - or even heard of - T.J. Klune, quite frankly, but a few weeks ago, my non-PNR-reading blog-wife Maria, said, "OMG Val, you just HAVE to read this awesome M/M PNR book I just read. It was fucking fabulous."

Well, okay, that wasn't exactly what she said...

But that's what I heard.

description

But anyexaggeration, homie Maria was right.

I loved this thing.

As I said, I've never read anything by T.J. Klune before, so I'm not sure if this book is an example of his general writing style or just his writing style for this book. Either way...

It's very different.
And it just really worked for me here.

The entire story is told from the POV of our main character, Ox.

Ox lives in the country in the middle of Green Creek aka Nowhere, Oregon.

Yeah, exactly.

Anyway, Ox's father tells him he is stupid and the kids at school call him a "retard."

But really, Ox is just a simple boy with simple wants and needs and a heart of fucking gold.

And when I say "simple," I mean that the way he sees the world and other people is the way I wish we ALL could see things: with no artifice, no underlying motivations, and no cruelty.

And that is how the writing is structured.

Short, concise paragraphs that are simple in nature but tell a story of great complexity, beauty, and depth.

description

Also, something I am always a sucker for and always will be is the PNR Mate trope.

Well, this definitely has that, but in a different way than I've ever read before.

The connection between Ox and all of the other characters is so awesome, so simple, and yet so beautifully complex at the same time.

They way they all interact and play off each other is alternately heart wrenching, endearing, and hilarious.

I don't want to talk too much about the story line though because, being that I went in kind of blind myself and loved it, I would encourage others to do so as well.

But I will say this...

What this book doesn't have is:

- A whole lotta steam...nothing really happens between any of the characters until the end. And you know what? I didn't notice the loss...and I'm a huge "I need the sexy times" whore.

- Artificial drama. So nice. So refreshing.

What this book does have is:

- Beautiful characters with beautiful connections

- A love story built over the course of more than a decade

- Grief and healing

- Some angst and groveling

- Camaraderie in spades

So if any of that cranks your tractor, I say snag this book.

description

Find this review, other reviews, and general shameless shenanigans at:

Follow us on facebook Follow us on instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsong.

Quotes Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy ⚓️ Liked

T.J. Klune
“You were his, Ox. Even then. And he was yours.” I”
T.J. Klune, Wolfsong

November 3, 2016 – Shelved as: mm-or-lbgtq
November 17, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-stars
March 3, 2018 – Shelved as: fated-mates
July 22, 2019 – Shelved as: top-reads-of-all-time

Comments Showing 1-50 of 95 (95 new)

Ally Now I really feel like I must read this book!

BookPauper I adore this book.

message 5: by Lena (new)

Lena Nice cover

Bev I so need to read this book

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: ""

*muah!*

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review, Val!! :D

Karla Fantastic review, Val! I love love this book!

Sophia Triad Wonderful review Val :)

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Awesome review!!! I'm super happy :D

Judy.Ca Great review and thanks for not going into a lot of detail - you're right, sometimes it is better to go in blind. Can't wait to read this :)

message 13: by Linn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Linn And with this book review/recommendation is when I started to follow Maria. Big Thanks!

Renée Congrats on the Klune cherry popping! I highly highly encourage you to read The Lightning Struck Heart, which is his best thing ever. And it doubles down with the angst AND the lolz. Great review!

message 15: by Riz (new)

Riz Fab review, Val :))

Sam (Rescue Dog Mom, Writer, Hugger) Lovely review, Val!! Thank you!!

Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books Yo! Great review Val. This book was fucking epic. Kinda glad it didn't have more secksy times cuz I like my panties to stay right where they are in public lol. Glad u liked it!

Leigh Great review Val.

Jan  Stunning review, Val <3

Chris Welcome to the world of TJ Klune - his books are brilliant and his use of emotion is powerful and range from hilarity "The Lightening Struck Heart" or "How to be a normal person" to tear jerkers " John & Jackie" or the incredible " Into This River I Drown" - once you start you will be blown away by his range & style

Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Chris wrote: "Welcome to the world of TJ Klune - his books are brilliant and his use of emotion is powerful and range from hilarity "The Lightening Struck Heart" or "How to be a normal person" to tear jerkers " ..."

Looking forward to reading more of his stuff!!!

Judith Terrific review,darling.So glad you enjoyed it.I'm in total agreement about the steam factor.It's one of the things that kept putting me off reading it but i didn't even miss it,the book was so good!

♥Sharon♥ Wonderful review Val!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Ally wrote: "Now I really feel like I must read this book!"

I really enjoyed it, Ally :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ BookPauper wrote: "I adore this book."

I'm so glad :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Lena wrote: "Nice cover"

Yeah, classy, no?

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Bev wrote: "I so need to read this book"

You so do, Bev!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Jessica wrote: "Awesome review, Val!! :D"

Thanks Jessica :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Karla wrote: "Fantastic review, Val! I love love this book!"

Thanks Karla!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Maria✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "Awesome review!!! I'm super happy :D"

Thanks for bringing it to my attention, Homie!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Sophia wrote: "Wonderful review Val :)"

Thanks Sophia!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Judy.Ca wrote: "Great review and thanks for not going into a lot of detail - you're right, sometimes it is better to go in blind. Can't wait to read this :)"

Totally, Judy. And I hope you love it!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Linn wrote: "And with this book review/recommendation is when I started to follow Maria. Big Thanks!"

Nice! lol

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Renée wrote: "Congrats on the Klune cherry popping! I highly highly encourage you to read The Lightning Struck Heart, which is his best thing ever. And it doubles down with the angst AND the lolz. Great review!"

Thanks Renée, I was actually just trying to figure out which of his books to read next, so I will start with the one then, thanks :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Riz wrote: "Fab review, Val :))"

Thanks Riz :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Sue (Rescue Dog Mom) wrote: "Lovely review, Val!! Thank you!!"

Thank YOU, Sue!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Heather the Queen of (Smut)Books wrote: "Yo! Great review Val. This book was fucking epic. Kinda glad it didn't have more secksy times cuz I like my panties to stay right where they are in public lol. Glad u liked it!"

Thanks Heather :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Leigh wrote: "Great review Val."

Thanks Leigh!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Jan wrote: "Stunning review, Val <3"

Thanks Jan :)

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Chris wrote: "Welcome to the world of TJ Klune - his books are brilliant and his use of emotion is powerful and range from hilarity "The Lightening Struck Heart" or "How to be a normal person" to tear jerkers " ..."

I'm looking forward to reading more of his stuff, for sure, Chris, thank you!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ Judith wrote: "Terrific review,darling.So glad you enjoyed it.I'm in total agreement about the steam factor.It's one of the things that kept putting me off reading it but i didn't even miss it,the book was so good!"

Totally! And thanks Judith!

Val ⚓️ Shameless, Skanky & Bitchy  ⚓️ ♥Sharon♥ wrote: "Wonderful review Val!"

Thanks Sharon!

Maida»-(¯`v´¯)-» FAB review, girl!! I can't wait to get to this one. Been hearing nothing but awesome things about it. Happy you loved it! :D xoxo

Caroline I'm so happy you loved it. Jesus, this book, I'm going to read it again soon...

message 45: by Karen (new)

Karen Great review Val, I see some high ratings :)) xx

Rachel Reads Ravenously Yay I'm so glad you loved it!!!! Terrific review Val!

message 47: by Cyndi (new)

Cyndi Wonderful review!

Stacie Great review, Val! So glad you loved this, I did too.

message 49: by Lena (new)

Lena Not your usual but isn't it fun when you like something that is so not you.

Tracie Payne Excellent review! This book is my favorite is this year I think. I'm a Klune fan, but this is his best work imo.

« previous 1