Kerry's Reviews > Ammonite

Ammonite by Nicola Griffith

Jun 20, 2011

bookshelves: 2011, 8, ebooks, sf

I have to let this one digest a bit before commenting, but I liked it a lot and it was certainly a page turner. I just had to keep reading.

I finished and enjoyed Ammonite by Nicola Griffith, although I found it hard to express my feelings about it. I liked it, but not quite knowing what to expect left me also not sure what I thought about it. This was a read for Calico Reaction’s A-Z Book Club, so you can pop over there to take a look at the discussion if you like. (I am posting over there as rocalisa.) Phoenixfalls basically sums up my feeling in her initial comments. My own (pathetic) comment was:

I’ve been reading the comments and struggling to post one myself because I’m just not sure what I want to say.

I enjoyed the book and I think that phoenixfalls has basically covered all my points up above.
I remember thinking as I was reading that I had expected more, I don’t know, gender conflict in the story (how when one gender is just not there, I’m not sure), but reading Griffith’s Afterword made all that make sense. What she said about women and being just people and you’ll get all kinds was indeed what I had been reading and not been able to put into words. So I was very glad to have that Afterword there and for me, if that was what Griffith was going for, she succeeded very nicely.

I can’t say I LIKED Marghe, but she worked well for me as a character and I agree with phoenixfalls that her insistence of going to Ollfoss can out of who she was at the beginning of the novel and the fact it all seemed to end up being pretty much an anti-climax when she actually got to old Ollfoss showed that by then she had assimilated to Jeep and that drive she had, had been replaced with something much more peaceful to her state of mind.

When I finished reading, I wanted a sequel, but now some time has passed I am happy with where it ended.

So all in all, I enjoyed the book. I’m certainly very glad I read it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ammonite.

June 20, 2011 – Shelved
August 26, 2011 – Started Reading
August 26, 2011 –
page 114
27.54% "Fascinating so far. I want to know what's going on - don't both me, I'm reading."
page 198