Annabelle Marie Veronica's Reviews > Goddess

Goddess by Josephine Angelini

*****FINAL RATING: 4.75 STARS*****

CATCHALL
Goddess was a stunning and beautiful conclusion to the Star-crossed series. With plenty of romance and action, it balanced everything perfectly. This book breaks your heart and puts it back together again, and I mean that in the best way I can. This book was absolutely stunning, with a brilliant cast of characters who complete the novel.

THE HEROINE
HELEN
Sometimes I wanted to jump into the book and slap Helen for the decisions she made, but in if she messed up sometimes, she was a strong, sure of herself heroine who knew what she had to do. She often made mistakes and regretted her decisions, but she didn’t let that stand in the way of her moving forward. Helen handled her power with ease and though she wasn’t always sure of her heart, it was in the right place.

THE LOVE INTERESTS
LUCAS
Lucas is a strong character who genuinely cares about Helen but isn’t defined by that. He has a strong mind and really was the most vital piece of the operation. He really saved the day. Lucas is a genius who is just learning to find confidence in himself. He really comes into himself in this book and is a hero in his own right, no longer standing in Helen’s shadow.
ORION
Orion’s story broke my heart for him, but I still didn’t like him as a choice for Helen. He’s sweet and everything, he just didn’t really seem like the best choice for her. Even so, he’s a really interesting character and coming back from what he did was really difficult for him and yet still he did it.

THE PLOT
This book was fast-paced and impossible to put down. I constantly felt the need to know what happened next and I couldn’t stop until I was done.

I loved watching Helen and her friends prepare to fight the final battle together. For once, everyone was working together, sharing a common goal, and it made them stronger.

Everything happens for a reason, or so they say, and in the book that was certainly true. Betrayals, heartbreak, everything happened for a reason. When one door closed, somewhere, a window opened. I’m spewing clichés, but that really is how it happened. Sometimes I thought something so awful happened they would never be able to come back from it and yet they did, stronger than ever.

I didn’t like everything about the final battle. For one thing, I thought it was a little too pretty. Everything seemed to fall exactly into place, and it didn’t feel very realistic. Still, despite this, I felt that it was absolutely worth reading. Just because it wrapped up a little too nicely I didn’t think any less of the book.

THE ROMANCE
I’m not a big fan of this particular love triangle, but honestly, it seemed obvious from its first conception who Helen was really going to end up with. That aside, the romance was written tastefully. Helen’s heart is torn, and so is Orion’s—the only person who knows his own heart is Lucas. I really like Helen and Lucas together—they make each other stronger, which is everything a romance should be. Orion feels like a cheap replacement for Lucas.

THE WRITING
Josephine has the most beautiful writing. It just flows off the page. It’s gorgeous and heartrending, and I wanted to lose myself in it and the flow of it. The world-building is excellent as always. We can really visualize the monsters and gods she’s created, and for someone who has never been to Helen’s home, I can picture it perfectly. The descriptive imagery is peerless.

THE ENDING
The end was perfect. Everything about it was just perfect. There was a good dose of heartbreak and tragedy, and not everything turned out the ideal way, but that only makes it more heartachingly real. The book truly draws everything to magnificent crescendo, and yet it’s not disappointing at all when it drops to something more bittersweet and softer.

WRAPUP
Goddess was a brilliant conclusion to a stellar series, and I’ll definitely be reading everything Josephine puts out in the future. I’d definitely recommend this series to fans of mythology and paranormal alike, and to anyone who loves a lot of romance that doesn’t interfere with the story, but is a part of it.

FINE.

Find more of my reviews on Sparkles and Lightning!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goddess.

message 1: by Jessie (new)

Jessie Is this series good? I haven't read the first book before.

Annabelle Marie Veronica I really like it :) it's not amazing, but it's still really, really good.

message 3: by Jessie (new)

Jessie I'll be sure to pick it up sometime. Thanks for the rec!;)

Annabelle Marie Veronica Let me know what you think when you do! And no problem <3

Bavethra I've been wanting to read this book for so long!!!!!! I can't wait to get my hands on this book.

Annabelle Marie Veronica Such a fabulous ending! <3

Nicole Wang I died. Omg. ANNABELLE. *whimpers*

Bavethra I finally read the book and i was just SO happy. But it's sad to think that the series is over.

Bavethra But at least alive in our imagination =)

Annabelle Marie Veronica Oh true, Bavethra!

And Nikki! I'm sorry I didn't see your comment earlier! :( But sigh, I know.