C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Upside of Unrequited

The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli

bookshelves: contemporary, read-2016, young-adult

So two things:
(1) I'M SORRY I READ THIS SO EARLY. I'm honestly not here to brag or anything. #donthurtme But I know that if I don't review it now I will forget everything of ever and it will be embarrassing. SO. I'll keep this review spoiler-free (of course) and brief!
(2) It's hard not to compare it to Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda! I shall try. I loved that book to freaking pieces and so I didn't love this one as much which is why it's just 4-stars. But I feel like it's in the shadow of it's Big Bro so. It is still a freaking fantastic book and Becky Albertalli is amazing.

This book is a special little squish of a creation. It just ticks ALL THE RIGHT BOXES. It's extremely diverse (at least 50%, if not more, of the cast is queer and POC), it deals really honestly and accurately with anxiety, the protagonist is fat, it's about love but also about growing up and feeling left behind, and IT'S STINKIN' ADORABLE.

The writing is, of course, BRILLIANT. Seriously I can never look away from the page. It's just captivating and beautifully written and it FEELS SO REAL. That's one of the #1 reasons I love this author's work: the dialogue is actually realistic and relatable.

Which of course brings me to talking about the characters....

THE CHARACTERS! OH GLORIOUSNESS. Okay, although I admit...I struggled with Molly at first. She has 30+ unrequited crushes. Like. Okay...I am not a romantic, in fact I'm so far from being a romantic that I married a bookshelf full of extremely bloody and stabby books. Ahem. SO. I didn't relate to Molly's row after row of boys she's crushing on. To me it felt a little...oooookay. But I still loved her for her totally relatable feelings that everyone around her was growing up and she just felt like SHE WASN'T. It is awkward and overwhelming. I think this book captured the way growing up can be overwhelming. OH. And Molly is a pinterest nerd. I love this. And, well, Molly is also Champion Jumper To Conclusions and that was annoying, hahah. But like aren't we all annoying sometimes? So. #realistic

So many beautiful messages too. I love how Molly's mums talked about there not being "a specific age" to reach milestones and achieve things. ISN'T THAT NICE TO TALK ABOUT?!? Thank you. And of course it underlined that love is love no matter what. And even though Molly had anxiety and was shy, she NEVER was forced to be less herself. Her sister told her to "put herself out there" and stop just pining for unrequited crushes, but there was no "seriously Molly stop being so quiet and anxious"....there was NO SHAMING IN THIS BOOK FOR ANYTHING. #blessit

And Molly didn't have an eating disorder. She is fat. She likes food (which means she is awesome). She doesn't spend the book learning to love herself because SHE LOVES HERSELF NOW. And this was inspiring and beautiful to read.

(Did I say this review was going to be short? HAHAHAHHHAHAHAHA. Sorry.)

Also the romance was freaking adorable. BUT I WILL SAY NO MORE. EXCEPT: SQUEEEEEEEE.

I think this book was less funny, and less nerdy than Simon Vs. Which is probably why I'm a little less in love with it. (I also FREAKED OUT when he made a teeny tiny cameo. Like ajfdksalfd I forgot how much I love Simon.) It DID, however, have much appreciation for Chocolate Mini Eggs, which I've not heard of until now but they sound like Aussie Easter chocolate Eggs???? So I am 100% FOR. I'm so glad both of Becky Albertalli's books so far have had grand food appreciation. NICE.

ALL IN ALL: this is a glorious, sweet, happy and feels-good book and I LIKED IT. Which is saying something because no one got stabbed and I still liked it. Go me! I have a soul after all! (Maybe.) I still don't get how you can have that many crushes and not be a little...well, pathetic, though? (Sorry.) BUT WHATEVER. It was cute, relatable, and still had deep and poignant messages. Duuuuuude. Well done.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Upside of Unrequited.

October 11, 2016 – Shelved
October 11, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 8, 2016 – Started Reading
November 8, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "Me: Now now, little book, NO PRESSURE TO BE AS GREAT AS SIMON VS THE HOMO SAPIENS AGENDA OF COURSE.\nThis Book: *starts crying*"
November 10, 2016 –
55.0% "I didn't realise this doesn't release for ANOTHER 400 YEARS. omg am I allowed to review this early??? Will I be murdered by the ARC police????\nHOW AM I A BOOK BLOGGER YET KNOW NOTHING."
November 11, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
November 11, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
November 11, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 11, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)

lila I AM SO JEALOUS

C.G. Drews I'M SORRY.

Silvia I'm jelly :( I can't wait to read this too!

message 4: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee Haha yay :D Glad you loved it. AND YES SIMON'S CAMEO WAS EVERYTHING. <3 <3

message 5: by Jo (new) - rated it 1 star

Jo So Becky did it again but 'm gonna miss the oreos

message 6: by Abril (new)

Abril What is POC?

message 7: by Rosie (new)

Rosie Do you mean POV? That means point of view.

Silvia Abril wrote: "What is POC?"

Person/People of Color

C.G. Drews @Abril: Yes, like Silvia said, it stands for people of colour.

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Jo: BUT WE GET CHOCOLATE EGGS THIS TIME!

@Bee: Simon's cameo was just afjdksaldfj I SMILED SO MUCH MY FACE BROKE. (It's an acceptable reaction to go re-read Simon Vs now, right??)

message 11: by Finn Longman (new) - added it

Finn Longman I have this as an ARC but I've been putting off reading it until I can reasonably review it without being massively early, haha. Might break that promise because I could really use something cute right now...

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Miriam: It is REALLY happy which is a very nice distraction from, well, 2016 burning itself to the ground.

message 13: by Jaydyn (new) - added it

Jaydyn |Between the Bindings| I'm so jealous!! Glad to see you enjoyed it(: I can't wait to get my hands on this.

message 14: by George (new)

George Jankovic Great review, Cait!

message 15: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Jaydyn: Yayy, I hope you like it too!

@George: Thankyou!

message 16: by lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

lila Is there a love triangle? PLEASE TELL ME THERE ISN'T.

message 17: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Prabheleen: It is like a lowkey one? It's more like Molly is deciding if she likes which boy, instead of boys fighting over her and she being in love with two...ya know, the usual love triangle drama. xD So yes, but also no. Haha. AREN'T I HELPFUL.

sofia (sam willows) Becky's writing is so good, I'm not bothered reading the portuguese translation of it. It's that good.

message 19: by lila (new) - rated it 5 stars

lila @Cait, you know that's not my spelling!! (lol)

message 20: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Cait: I'm beginning to think Becky Albertalli can do no wrong.

message 21: by Emily (new) - added it

Emily Munn I'm so glad I read this review! I'm totally considering getting a spearcraft book box this month ( my march owlcrate was more than disappointing!) so I wanted to research the book first! I adore your reviews and always crack up! Thanks!

message 22: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Emily: Aww, thank you! I hope you enjoy it. :D

message 23: by Hailey (new)

Hailey Hudson "I'm so far from being a romantic that I married a bookshelf full of extremely bloody and stabby books." << Literally a description of my entire life. #relatable

message 24: by Jessi (new) - added it

Jessi I cannot wait for this one!

message 25: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Hailey: YOU ARE MY PEOPLE.

@Jessi: Yessss!!

Grace Eleanor Do you have to read Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens first? Or can I read this then Simon bc waterstones didn't have Simon 😩

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

C.G. Drews @Grace: Nope definitely not! This is a complete standalone. :)

Grace Eleanor Thank you! 😊

Maggie BB So. When I finish a book I like to read my friends reviews. And I am embarrassed to admit that it wasn't until I read your review THAT I CLUED IN TO THE ABBY/SIMON/NICK THING. AND I LITERALLY JUST READ SIMON RIGHT BEFORE READING THIS. I FEEL LIKE THE MOST UNOBSERVANT IDIOT EVER.

Zenki the Hermit Such an adorable, beautiful review