Sarah Weathersby's Reviews > News of the World

News of the World by Paulette Jiles

Oct 18, 2016

bookshelves: historical-fiction, western, civil-war, public-library

Awesome little book of 209 pages. It reminded me a bit of True Grit, except that Jefferson Kyle Kidd is not a drunkard. When we meet him, he has lived through three wars and has reached his seventies. His new "job" has made him a reader of newspapers and journals from all over the world. He earns his living from the coins he receives from the people who gather in various masonic lodges, churches, etc. to listen to Kidd's reports of News of the World. At one of his stops he is offered a fifty-dollar gold piece to return an ten-year-old orphan to her remaining relatives near San Antonio. She is the only survivor after Kiowa raiders slaughtered her parents and sister, leaving a little blond-haired girl to be raised by the Kiowa.

It's a long trail from Wichita Falls to San Antonio, but Kidd takes the job of transporting Johanna, who has lost understanding of the English language, to her relatives, who are German. Johanna has spent four years as a Kiowa, and at first she tries to run away back to them. Over the months of their journey, Kidd learns from Johanna, and Johanna learns from him. She learns some English and Kidd learns the ways of the Kiowa. "All animals are food, except for horses."

Kidd continues his readings along the four-hundred-mile journey, his only income. They must watch for thieves, Comanches and Kiowas. Johanna proves how resourceful and feisty she is and develops an attachment to "Kep-dun" Kidd.

No spoilers here, but the story will tear at your heart.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read News of the World.

October 10, 2016 – Started Reading
October 18, 2016 –
page 224
100%
October 18, 2016 – Finished Reading

Monica You are like me right now! On a 5 Star streak!!

Sarah Weathersby These great books seem to find me.

message 3: by Udeni (new) - added it

Udeni Thanks for another great review, Sarah. Would you say it is suitable for an 11-year old voracious reader, or is it more for adults?

Sarah Weathersby It's definitely for adults...unless your 11-year-old is precocious.

message 5: by Jean (new) - added it

Jean Sounds like a winner, Sarah.

Monica Just picked this one up today based on your review!!

Monica Just finished this and I loved it. I knew when I saw your 5 star review that this one was special!

Sarah Weathersby Yes indeed!