Tom Law's Reviews > Caring for Creation: The Evangelical's Guide to Climate Change and a Healthy Environment

Caring for Creation by Paul Douglas

Evangelical environmentalism sound like the ultimate oxymoron. The two do not seem to go together at all. In fact, even the words sound like they are at war with each other. Yet the authors have pulled together the most important aspects of both to make a cogent well thought out presentation that should have us all talking.

As the authors point out to the Evangelical world, God has mandated that we take care of what belongs to Him. The world is not ours to do with what we want. We are stewards of what belongs to God and He will hold us accountable for how we have treated His property. If that is not enough, they go on to point out that in our self-interest we need to be concerned for our children and grandchildren. What kind of world are we leaving to them? This then is the appeal to the broader audience as we think about the world around us. What are we doing to ourselves and those we love?

But they do not focus on what some might call this sappy moralistic and religious perspective. They present a clear financially sound argument for why this also is in the best interest of those who bow at the altar of the all mighty dollar. Those of us in the evangelical camp say this with derision, but all too often we also find ourselves at this same altar. It is clear that it is possible to make money and still do good. They are not mutually exclusive.

It all begins with us. The authors main appeal is to the general audience called the American public. The chances of the government or of the business community getting it right are slim, though not beyond the realm of possibility. We, though, have the power to effect great change by the way that we act. As a result, the authors, have outlined specific initiatives that each individual and family can take to make a difference.

It begins with us. Buy the book. Change the world. Create a better future.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Caring for Creation.

October 10, 2016 – Shelved