Paul's Reviews > We

We by Yevgeny Zamyatin

11951948

it was ok
bookshelves: book-vipers-monthly-read, books-read-2016

A millennia ago One State conquered the world, now they have designs on the rest of the Universe. They are building a spaceship called Integral and the chief engineer, D-503, is writing a journal that he is intending on taking with him on its maiden journey. Even in his privileged position he has to live in a glass apartment so he is constantly visible to the Bureau of Guardians, better known as One State’s secret police. He only has a moment of privacy when his state appointed lover, O-90, is permitted to visit him on certain nights. O-90 has other lovers, including the best friend of D-503, R-13 who performs as a One State sanctioned poet at public executions.

Then one day, the safe predictable world that D-503 has known, changes in ways that he could never have conceived, and nothing can ever be the same again.

I couldn’t quite get on with this for a few reasons. The plot didn’t really move that fast, even though it is a short tome, and the characters feel as flat and two dimensional as the glass walls that they are continually viewed through. I can see where Orwell and Huxley got their inspiration from though as this is brutally chilling at times with the all-pervasive state intrusion and levels of control that are frankly terrifying. Not bad, but for me didn’t have that extra something that 1984 has. 2.5 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We.

October 10, 2016 – Shelved
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: book-vipers-monthly-read
November 8, 2016 – Started Reading
November 9, 2016 –
page 104
November 10, 2016 – Shelved as: books-read-2016
November 10, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy Ahhhh? Thats maybe scuppered my wish to read this...... await the gory details :)

Paul No pressure then!

message 3: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy You love it really!!

Paul And done Andy! :-)

message 5: by Andy (new) - added it

Andy I can see it being a "mood" read, gonna have to pick my moment I think. Maybe a bit dated too as a story having seen quite a few similar films of the theme/genre.... could see it being world leader in its day.

Paul I think that if I had read it before 1984 and Brave New World it would scored higher

Catherine I have to agree Paul, if I'd read it before both those I would have scored it higher, although I did still quite like it.

Paul It wasn't bad; just didn't shine