Kristen Burns's Reviews > Dracula

Dracula by Bram Stoker

3 Stars

Review:
This book took me a while to to read because it took like ten pages for every character to say something as simple as, "I'm doing well," or to write in their journal, "Today we traveled through X city without incident." Eventually I started skimming and skipping whole sections, something I almost never do, because I could see they were just more repetition or long, drawn-out descriptions of unimportant events. Even doing that, it still felt like the book was never-ending. It picked up toward the end when they were finally hunting down Dracula, but even then I was skipping unnecessary parts.

That being said, the story itself and the concept of Dracula were interesting. And it took me a while to warm up to the characters, but I ended up liking them and feeling for them *SPOILER* (view spoiler) *END SPOILER* I could feel how much they cared about each other and thought their friendships were sweet. So although I do feel there was way too much unnecessary description and long-windedness, I'm glad to have finally read this since I did enjoy certain aspects, and I no longer feel like a disgrace of a vampire book fan.

Original Review @ Metaphors and Moonlight

---------------------

Initial Thoughts:
FINALLY READ DRACULA! I'm no longer a disgrace of a vampire book fan! Good story, likeable characters, sweet friendships, but way too much unnecessary fluff in the writing. Took me a whole week to read -_-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dracula.

October 9, 2016 – Started Reading
October 9, 2016 – Shelved
October 12, 2016 –
30.0% "This book is taking forever to read :-/"
October 14, 2016 –
61.0% ""'Let her come in, by all means, but just wait a minute till I tidy up the place.' His method of tidying was peculiar, he simply swallowed all the flies and spiders in the boxes before I could stop him."\nHahaha that would be a rather peculiar way of tidying up. I don't know if that supposed to be funny, but I find it hilarious."
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016-books
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: horror
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: classics
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: vampires
October 15, 2016 – Shelved as: adorable-friendship
October 15, 2016 – Finished Reading
March 6, 2019 – Shelved as: reviewed-mini

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Nicole (new)

Nicole Hewitt I haven't read this either. I'll probably be disgraced for a while longer ...

Kristen Burns Muahahahaha, that means I can look down at you as a lesser vampire fan! Just kidding :-P

message 3: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Does Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation count for something?

Kristen Burns Aaron wrote: "Does Francis Ford Coppola's adaptation count for something?"

I haven't even seen it. I guess between the two of us we manage to make one whole vampire fan lol.

message 5: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Heh in that case one is better than none right? Although I'm partial to the Lycans if that isn't obvious ;)

Kristen Burns Aaron wrote: "Heh in that case one is better than none right? Although I'm partial to the Lycans if that isn't obvious ;)"

One is definitely better than none, haha. I'm not a lycan fan though, so I'll leave that one to you!

message 7: by Aaron (new)

Aaron Fair enough, if you ever need the Lycans just whistle! But somehow I think you're doing quite well with Vampires *notices shelf* ;)