Kelly Paradise's Reviews > Transformers Volume 1: More Than Meets the Eye

Transformers Volume 1 by James Roberts

Oct 12, 2016

liked it

MTMTE volume 1 introduces some fun characters, but also has a lot of problems with its writing. The first chapter doesn't do a very good job catching up people new to the IDW Transformers universe and seems confused about what readers need to know (I think referencing what issue most of the stuff mentioned in the first three pages would have been more helpful than telling us where one off-hand comment Drift made that doesn't really impact the story originates from, thanks.) The other problem is the dialog all feels rather generic and self-righteous; all the characters speak in a similarly long winded, humorous style and I can't give each character a unique voice while reading. The writer seems more interested in showing off their wit than crafting a unique cast through dialog, and thus most of the interesting traits of each character are told instead of shown.

The story is just good enough to keep my interest (and admittedly even if it wasn't I bought the Humble Bundle with most of the series in it and refuse not to read books I spent good money on) but I'm not particularly impressed.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transformers Volume 1.

October 9, 2016 – Started Reading