Anne's Reviews > Lockdown

Lockdown by Walter Dean Myers

bookshelves: category-teen

Teenage Reese, serving time at a juvenile detention facility, gets a lesson in making it through hard times from an unlikely friend with a harrowing past.

I was actually pretty surprised at this book. Having missed (to my embarrassment) Myers' other acclaimed teen books, I didn't know what to expect when I picked this one, but I anticipated lots of teen angst and platitudes about life on the streets. What I got instead was an in-depth, honest, open story about one kid trying to put his life together, but afraid and unsure of himself without strong adult guidance. He discovers he's stronger than he realized and shows an amazing maturity as he goes through the final months of his prison sentence. The book never wallows, never descends into preachiness. You feel Reese's struggle and you genuinely sympathize with him. This is an easy read, but shows great substance. Regardless of whether readers identify personally with the trials of the main character, they will care about him and his fate. I think it's one of the stronger teen books I've read in the past few years.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lockdown.

Started Reading
June 15, 2011 – Finished Reading
June 19, 2011 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Julia Anne, I'm going to recommend Monster, a book of Myers, that deserves all the awards it has won. And then once you've read this I predict you won't be able to stop reading Myers!

I'd say happy reading, but that's not Myers' ouvre. You've got some great reading ahead of you!