Sophie "Beware Of The Reader"'s Reviews > Play

Play by Piper Lawson

18451976

4 « well played » stars.

photo 1f746c80-70e0-4fb9-a517-dfba4881b63d_zpsdjf0bgty.jpg

It’s been my third Piper Lawson’s book and it’s been given in exchange for an honest opinion.

First of all, let me tell you I really enjoyed myself. It was not too angsty, too tortured or anything. It was light but not too light either so I would say "well balanced" for us to have a good time reading it.

By now I also recognize her “signature”: writing about strong heroine with sassy BFF loving to play pranks or queen of the sarcastic remarks. In every one of her books the humor is present and I loved the banter between Payton and Max but also the pranks played at the office by her BFF Charlie. That girl relished in torturing some associates, especially Avery always with an innocent look on her face. How the girl never got caught and fired is beyond understanding but it was really funny reading about all this.

The plot is about Payton, young and recent associate at Alliance, a financing firm and concluding a deal with Titan, Max’s firm. Max is a genius and launched a successful game recently and is now looking for funds to sustain the development and launch of his new game and platform.
Their first encounter is quite… unconventional and they did not begin on the right foot. Soon enough Payton is convincing Max to use Alliance’s loan. There will only be a slight “glitch” but I don’t want to give any spoiler away.

Just know that Payton will soon be very invested in Max’s work and world. She tries to “manage” the brilliant but very closed-off man with many difficulties.

What I loved:
-as I already said: the humor! It’s one of Piper’s greatest assets in my books. I find myself snickering many times while reading about the sarcastic remarks, the pranks;

-Payton. Piper always writes great heroine, relatable, strong, driven but also caring. They’re never perfect but that’s what makes them relatable. I loved how Payton "matured" with her mom's sickness as she seemed a real firecracker when young but…she became a little too “rigid”. She should relax some more and just enjoy life. That’s what Max helped her to do introducing her to the gaming world and the sleepless nights playing to reach the next level;

-The gaming world. Piper was spot on about any things: the idea’s "theft" by competitors, the need to time the release of your new game right on the market else it goes at the bottom, the long working hours when you have to meet the deadline; the comic-cons, etc. I loved reading about all this as my son and my husband are real gamers.

What left me wanting:
-Max. He is sexy, a genius and I liked him by the end but he was very difficult to read and connect with for a very long time. He is distant, aloof, closed off. I understand all this comes from his youth, from his bad experience with someone. He also is brilliant and is totally focused on creating games. He is in his own head, in his own reality that is a fantasy to others. ” I spend every day building fantasy. This is how I like my reality. At a distance.” “Not all reality’s bad.” “No,” he conceded. “It’s just…impermanent. Fantasy never disappoints. Sometimes I wonder if the only thing you can count on are the good moments in life being too short.”

Anyway it took me a great time to warm to Max. It was only because I saw him through Payton's eyes that I was interested in learning more about him.

Now, when you have quotes like: ”"“Max?” “Yeah.” I felt the word reverberate through his chest to mine. “You’re not a mistake. Not your parents’, not anyone’s. You’re exactly who you’re supposed to be and I’m so glad I met you.” how can you remain unmoved? That’s what made me realize there were unseen depths and suffering in Max’s life.

I also saw some potential about other developments in the book, more possible drama but it was not the author’s choice I think to deliver a very angsty story and it worked very well so I’m not complaining at all.

If you’re looking for a light, interesting, entertaining and fun story, this could be your book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Play.

October 9, 2016 – Started Reading
October 9, 2016 – Shelved
October 12, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Clumsy Storyteller Great review, Sophie! i'm glad you loved this one :))))

message 2: by A. (new)

A. Fab review, Sophie! Sounds like a really good read :) xx

message 3: by Sophia (new)

Sophia Triad Great review Sophie ;)

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Fantastic review, Sophie! xx

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Khadidja wrote: "Great review, Sophie! i'm glad you loved this one :))))"

Thank you Khadidja! xx

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" ANNA ☘ The Bibliomaniacal Abibliophobe ☘ wrote: "Fab review, Sophie! Sounds like a really good read :) xx"

Thanks Anna ;-) <3

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Sophia wrote: "Great review Sophie ;)"

Thank you Sophia!

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Fantastic review, Sophie! xx"

Thank you so much Arianna! xoxo

Jessica ❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review, Sophie!! :)

message 10: by Karen (new)

Karen Terrific review Sophie Hun :) xx

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Jessica wrote: "Awesome review, Sophie!! :)"

Thank you Jessica! <3

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Karen wrote: "Terrific review Sophie Hun :) xx"

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Ana {The Good Gif Fairy} wrote: "Great review Sophie :)"

Thank you Ana! xx

message 14: by Coco.V (new) - added it

Coco.V Fantastic review, Sophie dear! :) xx

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Coco.V wrote: "Fantastic review, Sophie dear! :) xx"

Thank you Coco!! xx

message 16: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Awesome review sweetie :)

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Jessica's wrote: "Awesome review sweetie :)"

Thank you so much Jessica! xx