Karen Mace's Reviews > The Bear and the Nightingale

The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden

bookshelves: 2017, e-books, netgalley

Wow! Yep, it's one of those reads! Have to be honest that it did take me a while to settle into as it follows a number of characters and things did get a little confusing for me - easily done! - but one I was under its' spell there was no letting me go and it was an absolute delight of a read. How stories should be told!

The main character that we follow in 14th century Russia, Vasya, is a wonderful character full of spirit, independance and extremely feisty. She detests being told what to do and the idea of being married of, as was common practice, is just something she can't abide. She disappears into the forest at regular intervals and also has the ability of her grandmother which is that she sees spirits and can talk to animals. The bond she builds up with horses is particularly charming and see senses what others cannot see.

Due to her 'empathy' she is known as the witch girl amongst the villagers and is a constant cause for concern for her father who wants a nice quiet 'normal' daughter that he can marry off instead of having to worry about her and listen to the other villagers talk about her.

This is part fairytale, part historical fiction that is lyrically beautiful. The setting and surroundings are brought to life along with the struggles that each family are suffering in dealing with issues and there are also strong links to the church and witchcraft.

An absolute delight of a read and I'm extremely pleased to hear there'll be more in the series!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Bear and the Nightingale.

October 9, 2016 – Shelved