Jerry B's Reviews > The Third Twin

The Third Twin by Ken Follett

Jun 19, 2011

did not like it

We find Follett’s medieval stories to be great, and his wartime spy novels fairly good; and so looked forward to a modern-day storyline in “Twin”. It’s difficult to summarize the plot without spoiling it, although the book’s title helps us figure out what’s going on about 150 pages before the key players do! A researcher, Jeannie Ferrami, is doing clever studies on twins raised apart, where one is a criminal and the other a good guy – working on the old nature versus nurture argument. When her best friend is raped and the good guy is blamed (but we know no way), we all presume the bad twin did it, but he’s in jail. You can almost guess the rest.

While the plot was somewhat clever and the contemporary setting a twist from the author’s other work, the action here was just so far-fetched we could barely wait to get to the end – but not from suspense but rather that feeling of “oh, come on, this could never happen”. When a few romantic elements are the most memorable takeaway from a Follett novel, something is definitely wrong.

While we suppose the author was trying to illuminate issues surrounding genetic research, and to a lesser degree, computer-based searches through massive databases, we cannot in good faith recommend this totally implausible tale.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Third Twin.

June 19, 2011 – Shelved
June 25, 2011 – Started Reading
July 2, 2011 – Finished Reading

Elaine I totally agree on the predictability of the plot! I liked it, though; Follett's well-written characters and tight plotting tend to make up for other sins.