Clare Walker's Reviews > Productivity for Creative People: How to Get Creative Work Done in an "Always on" World

Productivity for Creative People by Mark McGuinness

Jun 18, 2017

I am an independent author of fiction and non-fiction, and I found this book extremely helpful in learning how to find balance. Chapter 3 ("Reduce Overload") was the most practical and actionable section for me. In this chapter, Mark encourages you to organize all your various tasks into four types: 1: ongoing work (repeating stuff and stuff you do every day. Admin-type stuff usually ends up in this category), 2: special events (one-time things that need a lot of preparation ahead of time), 3: backlogs (stuff you're behind on), and 4: asset creation (the creative work -- stuff that stays done).

I would venture to guess that many creatives are overloaded with 1 and 2 stuff, frustrated that the amount of 3 stuff keeps increasing, and even more frustrated that hardly any 4 stuff is getting done. That's definitely where I was when I read the book, and Mark's advice on this helped me a lot!

Bonus: the rest of the book is excellent, too! Thanks, Mark!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Productivity for Creative People.

October 8, 2016 – Started Reading