Michael Finocchiaro's Reviews > Le Petit Prince

Le Petit Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

bookshelves: fiction, french-20th-c, kids, classics, favorites, non-fiction, novels, read-in-en-and-fr
Read 5 times. Last read January 1, 1997.

One of the most poetic prose books I have ever read, The Petit Prince is a gorgeous and heart-warming story. Who could not resist this space-traveling Candide in his search to secure a home for his favourite flower and not guffaw at all the crazy bureaucrats and nutcases he encounters before meeting the narrator. The lessons for children are legion in this book: what does love mean, what is friendship, why do parents warn children about things, why are people mean sometimes, and this list goes on into infinity. It is impossible not to be moved deeply by this masterpiece and also become enamoured with its naïve but beautiful artwork by Saint-Exupéry himself (even if he can't draw a sheep to the Prince's satisfaction). To be read, and re-read, and re-read and cherished ad infinitum. Draw me a sheep...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Le Petit Prince.

Started Reading
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: favorites
November 18, 2016 – Shelved as: non-fiction
November 21, 2016 – Shelved as: novels
November 30, 2016 – Shelved as: read-in-en-and-fr

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

edge of bubble this one is one of my all time favourites! to be reread when I'm feelin down. the part about taming, still warms my heart. lovely and funny review =)

Michael Finocchiaro Thanks edge! My kids ADORED the part about his drawing abilities!

edge of bubble then he must have done it right! I've read it as an adult and drawings were weird/funny to me.

Michael Finocchiaro I read it when I learned French and return to it all the time. That and La Vie Devant Soi are among the most positive, life-affirming French books IMHO

edge of bubble I had to google that one. I haven't read it but sounds very intriguing. Will look for it on my next trip to bookshop.

I've read it in english and turkish. different languages makes the reading a different experience. I wish I could read in french too.

Michael Finocchiaro The French is absolutely delicious :)

debra I read this book so many years ago-and to this day will reference quotes(truths) expressed. Just last week someone was reviewing a v contemporary book and cited a long quote which reduced in essence to " it is such a secret place, the land of tears"
I LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael Finocchiaro Me too :) thanks debra!

debra le_fino wrote: "Me too :) thanks debra!"
Totally forgot to mention your wonderfully, perfect review!

Nərmin Great book and fantastic review!

Michael Finocchiaro Thanks Narminn and debra! Happy Holidays!