Liv's Reviews > The Immortal Highlander

The Immortal Highlander by Karen Marie Moning

4190183

it was ok
bookshelves: pnr

I am getting tired of giving a rating in between stars - I am giving this one a 2.5 stars, because similar to the Dark Highlander (this book's predecessor in the series), I thought it was more than okay but I didn't feel that I "liked" it all that much.

I was very happy that Adam Black finally got a story of his own. I thought Gabrielle (or Gabby for short) was well-matched for him. In this book, we even got to see more of Drustan & Gwen, Dageus & Chloe (both couples from previous two novels in the series) and even Darroc, one of the main villains from the author's Fever series. Overall, the story in itself was actually quite good - it had its fair share of romantic and suspense elements. However, it still failed to interest me.

I've read KMM's Fever series first, before venturing into the Highlander series. I'm a big fan of the Fever series, but I can't say as much about the Highlander series. After having read 6 of the KMM Highlander novels, I've gotten tired of the way the stories were plotted and portrayed. Each book, although focused on a different couple as the main characters, followed a similarly predictable structure, or formula, which can be summarized as follows:

(1) A sensual, beautiful, good-hearted, courageous woman (our female protagonist) meets a hunky, gorgeous, seductive, sexy, irristible man (our to-die-for-and-to-drool-over-for male lead). Sometimes their meeting would be a result of some time-travel plan or accident, but essentially you'd have a guy who doesn't really belong in the 21st century meet a modern-day woman.

(2) Woman and hunky guy feel instant attraction towards each other and continue to feel horny around each other throughout the entire book.

(3) Lady and man go through a series of flirting, teasing, seduction etc., while in the middle of some sort of trouble, mystery, or adventure. This is essentially the "mating dance" between the two lead characters. Eventually they cannot resist the urge and mutual attraction, and fall into bed together. They always have mind-blowing sex, and the lead hunk of the story always has skills that no man of our current-day standards would ever hope to match, let alone surpass. Oh, let's not forget that the lead woman (in the majority of the Highlander novels) is a virgin so her first time is well-treasured and appreciated by the man.

(4) Lady and the said seductive man would then ensue in some sort of battle or final showdown with the villain(s) of the novel, meanwhile have more sex in between whenever and wherever possible.

(5) Battle with the bad guys is finally won but somehow, someway the couple gets separated. The lady becomes immensely distraught with the loss of her love and goes into a state of denial, shock, deep despair.

(6) Finally our fictional, unforgettable hunk appears again and reunites with his mate. They reconcile, have more sex, and live happily ever after. Oh, and they usually end up having babies, or plan to have babies.

So, this just about sums up my impression of the Highlander series so far. I think you can apply the above formula to any of the first six books and you'd find that I'm really not that far off the mark.

Really, KMM's writing style isn't bad. In fact, she has this way of writing that perfectly describes any woman's fantasy dream guy. Her romantic portrayal between the lead characters is quite well written and believable. Sometimes I can't help but sigh over the hunks in the novels. If I were to ready any one of the six books as a standalone (i.e. read only one and none of the others), each would actually earn at least a 3-star, may be even 4-star, rating in my funny accounting way. Unfortunately, I read one after another, and by the time I reached #6, I just got tired of seeing the same things again and again.

Having said this though, I will still attempt to read book #7 of the series. After all, I've already invested so much time, I might just as well complete the journey, right? I just hope that I'll encounter something surprisingly pleasant and NEW in the next installment.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Immortal Highlander.

June 18, 2011 – Shelved
June 19, 2011 – Started Reading
June 22, 2011 – Finished Reading
January 7, 2013 – Shelved as: pnr

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

yoksan You must have took this review out of my head... ♥