Anthony Chavez's Reviews > Bossypants

Bossypants by Tina Fey

Jun 18, 2011

Read from March 16 to 24, 2012

As a huge fan of Saturday Night Live and of Tina Fey, I was super excited to get this book and preordered it last year. It is about what you'd expect; by that I mean that it is a funny page turner full of self deprecating moments that make you laugh, and want to say "Oh, Tina!" Tina Fey's "Bossypants" is full of her trademark humor, but it isn't a "stand-up" book like many comics write. It's more biographical than that, and its main theme is the role of women in comedy. Fey speaks about her road from improv with Amy Poehler at Second City, to writing and then acting in sketch comedy at SNL, to producing and starring in her own sitcom. There are plenty of stories about her family and growing up, her college days, her cursed honeymoon (which is a real surprising one), etc. Fans of Fey will find much to like in the sections about Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock. It's definitely a light read with some great pictures, reprinted script pages and funny cover blurbs. I certainly recommend it to fans of Fey or of fun and funny'ness.

Speaking of funny... I did laugh out loud at many points during this read. It was well needed too as my last few reads and reviews were serious gruesome novels. It was amusing the way she kept divorcing herself from celebrity. She spoke about glamorous movies stars as though she hasn't made the lists of Hollywood's most beautiful and powerful. Somehow she's retained an everywoman quality that leaves her relatable and approachable. I enjoyed her touches on Lorne Michaels and his "opposite of Bossypants" style of management, and her creating "30 rock" for and around Alec Baldwin without even telling him. By the end of this slight book, I felt I knew a lot more about Fey. I liked and respected her even more than I had going in. And I was thoroughly entertained. I can't ask more than that.

It was little random bits of wisdom such as this one that made me laugh throughout: "I was a little excited but mostly blorft. "Blorft" is an adjective I just made up that means 'Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.' I have been blorft every day for the past seven years."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bossypants.

Quotes Anthony Liked

Tina Fey
“It is an impressively arrogant move to conclude that just because you don’t like something, it is empirically not good. I don’t like Chinese food, but I don’t write articles trying to prove it doesn’t exist.”

Tina Fey
“To say I’m an overrated troll, when you have never even seen me guard a bridge, is patently unfair.”

Tina Fey
“You have to remember that actors are human beings. Which is hard sometimes because they look so much better than human beings.”

03/17/2012 page 40
show 2 hidden updates…

message 1: by Lea (new)

Lea I love her!

Anthony Chavez And you haven't read this yet? Do so ASAP.

message 3: by Lea (new)

Lea Anthony wrote: "And you haven't read this yet? Do so ASAP."

I havent -- I guess I just don't real a lot of straight biographies/autobiographies? I'll probably make an exception here, though!

Anthony Chavez Oh yeah, this one has lots of funny moments and isn't straight biography. I heard the audiobook she reads great AND she does impressions of people like Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan.

message 5: by Lea (new)

Lea Anthony wrote: "Oh yeah, this one has lots of funny moments and isn't straight biography. I heard the audiobook she reads great AND she does impressions of people like Alec Baldwin and Tracy Morgan."

Audiobook it is!

Sandy Arellano Totally agree. Just finished the book. My comment looks like poop compared to yours. Love Tina though