Katie's Reviews > The Hero With a Thousand Faces

The Hero With a Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell

Wow. This book blows my mind every time I pick it up. It has taken me years to heed the advice of friends and family and read the thing (don’t wait as long as I did), but I’ve finished with a renewed sense of what it means to be an artist/writer/human and a perceived momentum I’ve found nowhere else. There is energy, wisdom and strength in the connections Campbell draws.

I’ve also placed myself firmly in the Campbell camp of dissecting story structure (suck it Robert Mckee, or better yet eat all the unread pages of your highfalutin book that no one I’ve spoken to has bothered to finish!). Campbell’s book is useful to those who want to tell engaging stories, those who want to make more conscious life decisions, and even those who just want to see better the similarities in tales we’ve propagated over the ages.

I’m going to read it again very soon. Let the boon-bringing commence!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hero With a Thousand Faces.

Finished Reading
March 14, 2008 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Briggs (new) - added it

Briggs Cool. I got about 70 pages into it a year ago... I need to actually read it.

Katie You should go back to it! Though I find it’s the sort of book that beacons you from the shelf when the time is right for you to read it (circumstances that are out of your hands). It’s also really good if you’ve flushed out an idea in a first draft (or half a draft) and want to better understand some of the things you’ve already done, or see the possible directions you can take things.

message 3: by Nora (new) - added it

Nora MMM. I'm definitely going to pick up that book. Joseph Campbell was one of my favorite thinkers. I love that his advice to anyone was to 'follow your bliss'. I think I could use some more of that reasoning anytime.

message 4: by Ben (new)