Orient's Reviews > Magic Binds

Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews

bookshelves: andrews, bloody-romance, desperado, entertaining, fantasy, favorites, hero, historical, killer, recs-by-milda
Recommended to Orient by: Milda Page Runner
Recommended for: everybody

When I think about Kate Daniels books, I feel like drinking macchiato. So tasty and energizing , beautiful and multilayered. Mmm….

It’s a pity that the next book will be published only next year. *sighs*
I liked the race through KD books a lot and “Magic Binds” didn’t slow or killed my fangirlism. Quite on the contrary.
So, let’s begin.

Kate Daniels. The legend of awesomeness.
Once upon a time there lived a powerful magical warrior princess…

When alone in a dark forest waiting for an audience with an evil god, the most prudent course of action is to be quiet and wait. ‘Prudent’ wasn’t one of my favorite words.
“Hello? I’ve come to borrow a cup of sugar. Anybody? Perhaps there is an old woman with a house made of candy who could help me?”
“Marrying for love isn’t wise.”
The voice came from somewhere to the left. Melodious, but not soft, definitely female and charged with a promise of hidden power. Something told me that hearing her scream would end very badly for me.
I stopped and pivoted toward the voice.
“Marry for safety. Marry for power. But only fools marry for love.”
When a strange voice talks to you in the black woods, only idiots answer.
I was that idiot. “Thank you, counsellor. How much do I owe you for this session?”

As earlier books, “Magic Binds” has a fascinating world-building. I. Andrews once more presented a crazy, magical and dangerous world, filled with strange creatures, Russian mythology and Kate. As always gripping mythology is mixed with incredible imagination, entertaining wit and character depth. I liked the way I. Andrews threw Kate and Curran into their new suburban lives with the crazy Kate’s family on the way to destruction and horrible prophesies for future life.
Of course there is a lot of fighting going on, but it’s not just brutal power. I read with amazement how Kate fought her inner fights trying to stay the old Kate, not the crazy Daddy’s reflection. I loved her tough side. It was time for her to show that she is tough and powerful enough to fight the nasty remarks, when saving people and then being treated rudely by them. It’s an excellent inner conflict between being tyrant and human. But it’s Kate, she can handle everything nasty what comes her way <3 And in “Magic Binds” Kate clearly showed that she is powerful enough to make her super crazy Daddy regard her as an equal, epic and strong force.

“You make me want to stab you."
"I have that effect on many people."
"How is it you're still alive?"
"I'm hard to kill.”

Kate’s circle of friends is expanding too. I liked how she helped the samurai girl. Not forgetting the old friends who showed their unexpected features and skills (I especially enjoyed seeing how a shy, weird and absent-minded geek turned to be a super cool god of terror, (view spoiler) ). It was good to meet them once more in the last-to-be battle and I enjoyed reading about their pasts.
What is more, my beloved evil playmate-villain aunt is back, though she is nothing compared to her super evilness as in “Magic Bleeds” and of course I missed Hugh, but I hope further books will set this right.

“You're like a crazy cat lady, but you collect killers instead of fluffy cats."

"I don't collect killers."

"Yes, you do, and those who aren't killers turn into killers by the time you're done. You made Julie into a maniac. That child has more knives on her than a squad of the PAD.”

The ending ((view spoiler) )was quite expected. Oh and let’s not forget the (view spoiler) as a wedding planner. Did I wish Kate and Curran to have their HEA? Yes and no. Yes, because they are worth it, they struggled for so long. No, because this book felt as a farewell and damn, I wasn’t prepared for it. But I still have the short stories to hook me up till waiting for the new book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Magic Binds.

October 7, 2016 – Started Reading
October 7, 2016 – Shelved
October 8, 2016 –
page 123
36.61% "“What is this?”\n“It’s a wedding invitation,” Julie said.\n“I didn’t order any.”\nJulie grinned at me. “Roman.”\nUgh. That’s right. I waved the envelope at her. “It has flowers on it.”\n“Did you want gore, swords, and severed heads?” she asked.\n"
October 9, 2016 –
page 180
53.57% "Eh, I want this book to never end... Kate <3"
October 9, 2016 –
page 193
57.44% "Omg, one of my favorite lost villain, <spoiler>Erra</spoiler> , is back for real. Awesome!\n"
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: andrews
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: historical
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: killer
October 10, 2016 – Finished Reading
November 2, 2016 – Shelved as: recs-by-milda

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

Milda Page Runner Liking it without reading :)
This is going to be my next read and I don't want to get any hints on what's going on in this book.

Glad you enjoyed it! :D

Orient Milda wrote: "Liking it without reading :)

Glad you enjoyed it! :D"

Thanks, Milda :))))))) Enjoy your macchiato

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Fantastic review, hon! ;)

Orient Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Fantastic review, hon! ;)"

Thanks, dear :))))))))))

message 5: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession Great review sweetie :)

Orient Jessica's wrote: "Great review sweetie :)"

Thanks, hon :))))))))))

message 7: by G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

G. You've caught up. Congrats! That was quite a marathon. :)

Orient Giedre wrote: "You've caught up. Congrats! That was quite a marathon. :)"

message 9: by G. (new) - rated it 4 stars

G. Orient wrote: "Giedre wrote: "You've caught up. Congrats! That was quite a marathon. :)"

Thanks :))) I'm hooked up and enjoyng it :))))) How do you endure all those reading times without Kate? :S"

Pray for release day to come sooner. :)

message 10: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Now it's even nominated :D You read good books. YAY!

Orient Sad wrote: "Now it's even nominated :D You read good books. YAY!"

Sure *blushes*. You're welcome to join :D Considering to read KD once more? :)

message 12: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) I guess not :/ Her magic doesn't work one me.

Orient Sad wrote: "I guess not :/ Her magic doesn't work one me."

Oh, well :/ *sobs silently*

message 14: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Please don't cry :/ I promise to love something else.

Orient Sad wrote: "Please don't cry :/ I promise to love something else."

Ok, but remember your promises! :D

message 16: by Sad (new)

Sad Sunday (If I say it's bad, it's bad) Agreed :D I will. (Feel free to send rockets if I don't)

Orient Sad wrote: "Agreed :D I will. (Feel free to send rockets if I don't)"

Sure, I will, you can bet ;) Rockets with I <3 Sad :D So you could see how strong my love is :D

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ When I think about Kate Daniels books, I feel like drinking macchiato. So tasty and energizing , beautiful and multilayered. ---> I completely agree. And your review was just as energizing. ^_^

Orient Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣ wrote: "When I think about Kate Daniels books, I feel like drinking macchiato. So tasty and energizing , beautiful and multilayered. ---> I completely agree. And your review was just as energizing. ^_^"

Thanks, Alex :)))))) Glad you liked it :)