nick's Reviews > The Forgetting

The Forgetting by Sharon Cameron

bookshelves: 2016-favorites, dystopia-scifi

4.5/5

Having loved Rook by this author, I was looking forward to reading The Forgetting, especially after it garnered great reviews from close blogging friends. I’m glad that I listened to them and read The Forgetting, because it’s one of my favorite YA reads of the year. It not only had a refreshingly original storyline, but it also had a cast that I loved from the start.

I’ve read two books by Sharon Cameron now, and it’s obvious that she’s a pro at her characterizations. I love how vastly different, yet subtly similar her heroine, Nadia, is from her heroine in Rook, Sophia. Nadia is a very quiet heroine throughout most of The Forgetting. Despite her quietness, she possessed an astounding amount of strength to her that made her very easy to root for. She’s a brilliant heroine in every way, but mostly I loved her determination, her resilience and her desire for wanting happiness for her loved ones. Everything she does, it’s for the sake of protecting her family. I don’t see how anyone could dislike her or not want to root for her success throughout The Forgetting.

Her love interest and ally, Gray was just as loveable. There was a very charming and endearing quality to him and the boy sure could make a girl swoon with just a few words. I love how he grew protective of Nadia and wanted more than just friendship with her, but he never impeded her goals. He allowed her to take the lead and that to me is a great romance in YA. This was seriously one of my favorite ships of the year. Together, Nadia and Gray were really sweet, but there was also an honesty to their relationship that made me root for their happiness.

The world building and plot in The Forgetting was also all-kinds of epic. I went into the book without reading the summary, so I was expecting much of anything, but Sharon Cameron’s play on memories, science fiction and dystopia easily impressed me. It’s a fascinating world, where people lose all their memories every 12 years and people write their memories down in books so they can find their families. It’s a complex world and the intricacies of the ethics of writing the memories, or even having the ability to change the memories, was fascinating. I loved that the book had the ability to surprise me with its turn of events. And the villains? I was never 100% sure if they were evil or good or even what their motivations were.

There were lots of great themes in this book, but I particularly enjoyed the relationships. Besides the romance, Nadia shared very complicated relationships with her sisters, one who seemed to hate her guts, and the other who loved her beyond reason. It was interesting being those different shades to a sibling relationship. Then there was the topic of Nadia’s mother’s mental health issues as well as her father’s abandonment of his family. I love it when a book can make me feel and think at the same time.

The Forgetting was an unforgettable (pun intended!) read. I enjoyed every minute of this highly creative and engaging story and going on this journey with this terrific cast. Part of me loves that this is a standalone, but the other part is sad because I would have loved to spend more time with them.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Forgetting.

October 7, 2016 – Shelved
October 7, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
November 6, 2016 – Started Reading
page 86
November 6, 2016 –
0.0% "This is fascinating!"
page 240
59.55% "This is fascinating"
November 7, 2016 –
page 333
November 7, 2016 – Shelved as: 2016-favorites
November 7, 2016 – Shelved as: dystopia-scifi
November 7, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Wendy i'm so glad you loved it too!! Rook is the only book by Sharon Cameron I haven't read and I want to!

nick I looved Rook too but this one was even better! I think you'll like Rook.