Kiri's Reviews > The Glass Sentence

The Glass Sentence by S.E. Grove

liked it
bookshelves: middle-grade
Read 2 times. Last read May 3, 2019 to May 9, 2019.

This book started out brilliantly! Maps! That encode not only space but time! Memories! Layers! It's even cooler than it sounds. But then.. it's as if the author had this truly awesome idea and then (1) never could figure out how it works, so the making of these maps is alluded to repeatedly but NEVER EXPLAINED, and (2) couldn't figure out what to do with the plot, so it meanders all over the place until you almost forget where it started and what the point was. Also, there's some kind of buried theme about truth and lies and trust, but it never actually gets resolved. I spent most of the last half of the book trying to figure out which character would suddenly reveal newfound treachery, because it seemed like it was always looming on the edge due to bizarre uncharacteristic yet unexplained behaviors. By the end, I still cared about the protagonist... but couldn't be moved to care about anyone else.

Also, as others have noted, the title is weird. It should be "The Glass Map," not "The Glass Sentence."

Coincidentally, the protagonist of this book (Sophia) has almost the same name as the last book I read (Sophie in Rooftoppers), and both girls are in search of lost parents.

5/9/2019: I just re-read this book (2.5 years later) to refresh my memory before beginning the sequel. And my impressions were exactly the same :) AWESOME world; bizarre, convoluted plot; multiple characters with implausible actions (darn). Despite insufficient description of actual map-making (or maybe because of it), it did fire up in me an interest in map-making :)
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Glass Sentence.

October 6, 2016 – Shelved