Petrik's Reviews > Morning Star

Morning Star by Pierce Brown

bookshelves: favorites, owned-physical-books
Recommended for: Sci-Fi & Space Opera fans

4.5/5 stars

Buddy reading this book with my favorite Howlers:
Sarah, Celeste, Mary, Tweebie, Jennymort

Short version: If you love Sci-Fi & Space Opera, do yourself a favor and go fucking read this trilogy.

As I predicted since Red Rising, this is another new entry to my favorite series of all time list and definitely one of the best Sci-Fi series I ever read. I read the whole trilogy within 9 days even though I have a full-time job to attend to, I sacrificed my sleeping hours to read during these periods and guess what? It’s bloodydamn worth it. Morning Star gave a hugely satisfying and beautiful ending to the trilogy while at the same time leaving some things in store for the future trilogy of this series.

I mentioned this in my Red Rising & Golden Son review and it won’t stop me from mentioning it again. THIS SERIES IS NOT FOR YA!

It’s completely geared toward adults and everything in it is written like one, it contained a lot of harsh languages, gory scenes and it only gets darker as the series progressed. The story is dark, there are hints of rape and cannibalism throughout the series. Personally, I wouldn’t recommend someone younger than 16 to read this trilogy but enough about that, let’s start with the review.

The plot remains true to the direction from Golden Son, which means it’s still done with the genre of Sci-Fi and Space Opera in mind compared to Red Rising which was Sci-Fi & Dystopia. The plot is unpredictable, still full of great action scenes, betrayal, politics, and bloodbath. The pacing of Morning Star is a bit slower this time and I honestly prefer the pacing of Golden Son where it was perfect for the series imo. However, it’s truly understandable, after the rollercoaster and all the shits that happened in Golden Son plus with everything build up from the first book, it’s obvious that there are a lot of things to settle in the last book to close the story and that results in slower pacing compared to its predecessor.

The main theme of the series itself as Pierce Brown himself said had always been about gaining the strength to fight what you can’t control, to overcome oppression but to never lose sight of the most important aspect of our life which is loyalty, friendship, family, and love. There isn’t a better way really to describe the theme of the book rather than hearing it from the author himself. Here is an excerpt from his interview:

"Whatever you’re told, being an adult doesn’t mean you have control. No matter the power you have, the money you make, the age you become, we all feel a little bit at the mercy of something else --- the government, banks, chance, illness, our bosses etc. That’s what Darrow is dealing with in RED RISING, the fact that any control he thinks he has over his own life is a mirage. But he does not despair. Instead he decides to break the chains and live for more. He sets out to create his own future.

The fact is, we don’t have complete control over our lives. Never have, never will. That’s ok. The point is, rather, to take control over the parts of our life that we can and live those parts in precisely the way we want. That is living for more and that is what Darrow is fighting for. What’s more, writing inspired me to find my own strength."

And personally, this is why I can connect with Darrow’s story and struggle in the trilogy easily. Another theme that had been there since the 1st book is friendship and that’s really evident here.

“A man thinks he can fly, but he is afraid to jump. A poor friend pushes him from behind.” He looks up at me. “A good friend jumps with.”

Darrow and Sevro remain my favorite characters for the whole series, I find their friendship an absolute pleasure to read and it’s really clear how strong Pierce Brown dives into the theme of friendship in this book from these character with their relationship towards each other and every other important character, friends or foes.

The wide variety of characters, their development, and their story are delightful to read. Darrow was 16 years old in Red Rising and he's 23 in Morning Star, the whole story took 7 years and you bet there's a lot of developments happening to all the characters. Personally, I prefer Darrow's personality in Golden Son but how he is in Morning Star really fits the story.

For the superbly written protagonists and antagonists, their journey finds closure here, some will live, some will die and that imo is a great thing. Look, no matter how much I love a character, I need them to have a sense of urgency in what they’re fighting for. I want and need to feel that they’re not protected by “author’s immortality barrier” like a lot of manga and movies did (I’m looking at you, all Marvel movies). I need to feel that what they’re fighting for could truly cost their lives and their actions will always have repercussions, especially in stories that deal with war and vengeance.

“Shit escalates” –Sevro au Barca

It’s war for fuck sake, no matter how kind or great a character is, that shouldn’t mean they’re safe from death. If a character died for a good cause and I feel sad or angry about it, that’s bloodydamn good. It means the author succeeded in making me emotionally invested in the characters, not to mention it makes the story more unpredictable. Like Brandon Sanderson, GRRM and other great authors imo, Pierce Brown is not afraid to kill off his characters if necessary and I personally find that a really great trait every story writer should have, not only in books but in all form of medium.

Other than the first 50 pages of book 1 where there’s a lot of info dump, World-building improves consistently until the end of Morning Star. There are a lot of beautiful planets, culture, dystopian hierarchy, unique devices and weapons to this universe. However, I strongly recommend to binge read this series or at least don’t wait too long between each installment. I’m not kidding it will improve your experience a lot more. There are a LOT of names and terminology to remember, even as I binge read the trilogy, I have to think hard sometimes on some of the terms used since there are so many to remember.

Writing remained impeccable since the beginning until the end. Poignant, poetic, dark, full of love, humor (yeah, there are some super funny scenes), beauty, rage, violence, hatred, etc. These made every scene vivid and connectable plus the epic climax sequences were really well done. From the epic Space Warfare, the plot twists and the beautiful conclusion, everything is written suitably and it’s what makes the trilogy really work for my taste. It’s safe to say Pierce Brown really satisfied my Sci-Fi urges with his writings and stories.

I’m beyond happy to have chosen this trilogy as the first series I read in 2017. This trilogy is formed with Red Rising as its foundation, Golden Son as its climax and Morning Star as its conclusion. Morning Star managed to conclude the trilogy beautifully and everything I wanted to happen in the end did happen in this book, some are done even beyond my expectation. There aren’t a lot of series I will re-read in the future, so far only Mistborn & Stormlight Archive are on my list but this is definitely another trilogy I’ll re-read again. I’m really emotionally invested in it, I love this trilogy with all my heart and I bloodydamn can’t wait for you to experience this trilogy for yourself.

Overall trilogy review

Red Rising: 4.5/5 Stars
Golden Son: 5/5 Stars (My favorite out of the trilogy)
Morning Star: 4.5/5 Stars

Red Rising trilogy: 14/15 Stars

Per aspera, ad astra

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Morning Star.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Pierce Brown
“Forget a man’s name and he’ll forgive you. Remember it, and he’ll defend you forever.”

Pierce Brown
“If this is the end, I will rage toward it.”

Pierce Brown
“justice isn’t about fixing the past, it’s about fixing the future. We’re not fighting for the dead. We’re fighting for the living. And for those who aren’t yet born.”

Pierce Brown
“You and I keep looking for light in the darkness, expecting it to appear. But it already has.” I touch his shoulder. “We’re it, boyo. Broken and cracked and stupid as we are, we’re the light, and we’re spreading.”

Pierce Brown
“What is pride without honor? What is honor without truth? Honor is not what you say. It is not what you read.” Romulus thumps his chest. “Honor is what you do.”

October 6, 2016 – Shelved
January 10, 2017 – Started Reading
January 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

message 1: by edge of bubble (last edited Jan 13, 2017 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

edge of bubble another perfect review, Petrik! I am blown into post book depression now that I've finished this awesome series. I can't wait for the new book the author is writing in this universe...

I was really disappointed with the shortness of the epilogue!

Jesica wonderful review, Petrik.. I can't wait to read this too :D

Petrik edge of bubble wrote: "another perfect review, Petrik! I am blown into post book depression now that I've finished this awesome series. I can't wait for the new book the author is writing in this universe...

I was reall..."

Thank you Edge!! I should shorten my review, it's too long!! I'll do it later though. I wouldn't say the epilogue disappointing but i agree that it would've been much better with a few more pages! :D

Petrik Jesica wrote: "wonderful review, Petrik.. I can't wait to read this too :D"

Thank you Jesica!! It's not as good as Golden Son imo but it's still a really great installment! :)

edge of bubble nooo it is perfect!! it's not too long!

my disappointment was about (view spoiler)

message 6: by Caleb (new)

Caleb M. Why will it be your last sci fi review for a while??????? If anything I would think this makes you want to read more sci fi since you enjoyed it so much. Just curious :)

Petrik edge of bubble wrote: "nooo it is perfect!! it's not too long!

my disappointment was about [spoilers removed]"

Haha that's true! Guess we'll have to see that in Iron Gold! ;) seriously though, I can't wait for the next trilogy already!

Margret I re read that one scene with Roque at least 3 times, and had no less than 2 Sevro related heart attacks. Especially for the point he was trying to make with people

message 9: by Petrik (last edited Jan 13, 2017 08:43AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Caleb wrote: "Why will it be your last sci fi review for a while??????? If anything I would think this makes you want to read more sci fi since you enjoyed it so much. Just curious :)"

Simple Caleb, I have 50+ massive high fantasy books I need to go through on my shelves XD

I'm in a bit of a Sci-Fi hangover after this actually, it was too much of a great read!

Celeste Fantastic review, love!! This volume is actually shaping up to be my favorite in the trilogy, but I can see why Golden Son is your favorite.. I'm glad you loved it so much!!

message 11: by Petrik (last edited Jan 13, 2017 08:48AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Margret wrote: "I re read that one scene with Roque at least 3 times, and had no less than 2 Sevro related heart attacks. Especially for the point he was trying to make with people"

I was going to talk about that in my review but I changed my mind. (view spoiler)

message 12: by Petrik (last edited Jan 13, 2017 08:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Celeste wrote: "Fantastic review, love!! This volume is actually shaping up to be my favorite in the trilogy, but I can see why Golden Son is your favorite.. I'm glad you loved it so much!!"

Thanks love!! It's a matter of preference really, Morning Star is equally amazing! :)

Haïfa Waaw amazing review Petrik!! Not quite as passionate as your last one, but quite inspiring ! I was hooked by your review, can you imagine and now I'll need to put this series in my reading schedule!! Asap! ^^

message 14: by Petrik (last edited Jan 13, 2017 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik Haïfoun wrote: "Waaw amazing review Petrik!! Not quite as passionate as your last one, but quite inspiring ! I was hooked by your review, can you imagine and now I'll need to put this series in my reading schedule..."

Thank you Haifa!! haha I was in a trance while writing my Golden Son review! Thank you though my friend, I really hoped you'll give this trilogy a try, Sci-Fi books rarely worked for me, this is one of the rare cases it does and literally everyone in this BR loved the series! :)

Haïfa I never tried reading Sci-fi before! Guess it's because space terrifies me! And I think I'll have trouble picturing the setting !

Haïfa But since I watched the star wars and some of the star trek movies lately (and kinda enjoyed both) I may be less prejudiced about the genre! :-)

Petrik Haïfoun wrote: "I never tried reading Sci-fi before! Guess it's because space terrifies me! And I think I'll have trouble picturing the setting !"

You'll be fine Haifa! I recommend you to start Dark Matter first though! it's a standalone and really fast paced, not to mention really damn good, then read this trilogy! that's what I did and as you can imagine, I'm satisfied with my Sci-Fi fix for a while! :)

Haïfa I'm going to do just that! Thanks for the advice! :-)

Petrik Haïfoun wrote: "I'm going to do just that! Thanks for the advice! :-)"

yeay!! you're welcome friend and I'll be waiting! :)

Michael Britt Great review!!!

Petrik Michael wrote: "Great review!!!"

Thank you Michael! What a great series! :)

Mayim de Vries There are many things I loved about the Morning Star. First is the motif of a dying Age. It was masterfully done by Brown. Secondly, the incredibly rich panoply of portraits and characters inhabiting the Red Rising universe. And thirdly, as I written in my review I loved the fact that propose to replace a dystopia with a utopian "and they lived happily ever after". And there, there is Mustang. Ah, your review made me feel like I should re-read the series again.

Petrik Mayim wrote: "There are many things I loved about the Morning Star. First is the motif of a dying Age. It was masterfully done by Brown. Secondly, the incredibly rich panoply of portraits and characters inhabiti..."

Wrll said Mayim, there are a lot of things I could say about this trilogy but really, i'm tired after that wall of text I wrote. :D

Overall a superb series though, very endearing :)

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Beautiful review Petrik! I'm so glad you enjoyed this series. Only being on the first book I have to agree that it is definitely not a YA series. Like could you just imagine this being anything less than an R rated movie???

☽Luna☾ Wonderful review oppa

message 26: by TS (last edited Jan 13, 2017 06:36PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan You put so much effort into your reviews. Respect!

Fantastic review as always. I agree with you that the overarching theme of this trilogy is highly relevant.

I think I've never fared very well with single POVs however, except for Mark Lawrence's books so far. And when it's first person, and especially present tense, does not really gel with me.

Petrik Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Beautiful review Petrik! I'm so glad you enjoyed this series. Only being on the first book I have to agree that it is definitely not a YA series. Like could you just imagine this being anything les..."

☽Luna☾ wrote: "Wonderful review oppa"

Thank you Maryy & Sarah! Oh the series only get darker as it progressed and as you said there's no way the movie will be rated under R. There's too many bloody scenes and violence in the series!

message 28: by Petrik (last edited Jan 13, 2017 06:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik TS wrote: "You put so much effort into your reviews. Respect!

I think I've never fared very well ..."

Thank you TS! I actually put more efforts into my reviews since finishing SA I have no idea why. I agree with you that 1st person POV rarely work, I prefer 3rd person. This series & Dark Matter are literally the only books with 1st person POV that I love :D

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) WHOA whoa whoa patty. Awesome review ;P I swear pierce brown is a genius.

Petrik Tweebs☯ wrote: "WHOA whoa whoa patty. Awesome review ;P I swear pierce brown is a genius."

Thank you Tweebie!! yeah I agree, Pierce Brown is definitely a new rising author in the industry!

Petrik Craig *ARISEN FROM THE ABYSS* wrote: "Nice Petrik!!! Your endorsement for this series is enticing indeed, now where is that flipping postman....Haha!!"

Haha thank you Craig! This is a sign you must read this trilogy man! :)

santino ✟ Great review! Now I'm getting the urge to reread the whole series again...

Petrik Mar wrote: "Great review! Now I'm getting the urge to reread the whole series again..."

Thank you Mar! I think I'll reread the series when Iron Gold comes out! bloodydamn good! :D

message 34: by Kainat (last edited Jan 14, 2017 07:04PM) (new)

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 You guys are killing me with all these reviews and updates. I WANT TO JOIN IN TOO!

Petrik Kainat Ijaz wrote: "You guys are killing me with all these reviews and updates. I WANT TO JOIN IN TOO!"

Please JOIN Kainat!! Please!!! This series is fantastic, especially if you love Sci-Fi and Space Opera! :)

message 36: by Kainat (new)

Kainat 《HUFFLEPUFF & PROUD》 You already know that I do! Do you not see me crying over Gemina like every other day? I read Red Rising a long time ago. I'm going to have to do a reread on it before I continue with rest of the series.

Petrik Kainat Ijaz wrote: "You already know that I do! Do you not see me crying over Gemina like every other day? I read Red Rising a long time ago. I'm going to have to do a reread on it before I continue with rest of the s..."

oh my god, thank you for reminding me to buy The Illuminae Files, don't know why I forgot! I'll probably read them later near the release date of book 3 this year though, I love binge reading a series and yes Kainat, it's better to reread Red Rising before continuing with Golden Son & Morning Star. I can't wait for you to start them! The sequels are so much better than the first book! :)

Petrik Craig *ARISEN FROM THE ABYSS* wrote: "Great review Petrik! The postman must dislike me because IM STILL WAITING FOR MY BOOKS!!!"

Thank you Craig and damn the postman!! I'm sending all my hope that your books arrive soon! :D

Daniel Hi Petrik, such a superb review! You should try to read Frank Herbert's Dune, another iconic space opera that becomes foundation for Star Wars and everything.

Petrik Daniel wrote: "Hi Petrik, such a superb review! You should try to read Frank Herbert's Dune, another iconic space opera that becomes foundation for Star Wars and everything."

Thank you very much Daniel!! Oh really?? I shall check it out! I heard a lot of great things about it already actually but I heard only the first book of the series is great that's why I'm reluctant to start.

message 41: by Ivy (new)

Ivy I love the first book of Dune, and I thought Dune Messiah was really good as well. Children of Dune was too bizarre for me. I stopped there.

Petrik Ivy wrote: "I love the first book of Dune, and I thought Dune Messiah was really good as well. Children of Dune was too bizarre for me. I stopped there."

That's more or less what I keep hearing from my friends too Ivy! Maybe I'll read the first book and just stop there we'll see! :)

message 43: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Hi, does it have a happy ending?

Petrik Sofia wrote: "Hi, does it have a happy ending?"

(view spoiler)

message 45: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Anie (finals - 2months) Great review! Next person who convinced me to give it a shot. A lot of people told me to read this series. Guess that I'll have to read it soon lol. (This cover made me believe that this was a horror/thriller series)

Petrik Mel wrote: "Great review! Next person who convinced me to give it a shot. A lot of people told me to read this series. Guess that I'll have to read it soon lol. (This cover made me believe that this was a horr..."

Thanks Mel. Hahaha this is a really old review but seriously, you must give this a try. Usually the general concensus is either you absolutely love or hate it, no in between. I, luckily fall on the love side :)

message 47: by Sofia (new)

Sofia Petrik wrote: "Sofia wrote: "Hi, does it have a happy ending?"

[spoilers removed]"

Thanks Petrik.

message 48: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah I have only read the first on so far. The other two have been sitting around waiting for me to make time for them. Sounds like I need to hop to!

message 49: by stardragons (new)

stardragons I've never heard of Pierce Brown before and clearly I'm missing out because I need me some good space opera in my life. Definitely putting this high on the to-read list after such high praise.

Petrik Sofia wrote: "Petrik wrote: "Sofia wrote: "Hi, does it have a happy ending?"

[spoilers removed]"