Petrik's Reviews > Golden Son

Golden Son by Pierce Brown

bookshelves: favorites, owned-physical-books
Recommended for: Sci-Fi & Space Opera fans

Buddy reading this book with my favorite Howlers:
Sarah, Celeste, Mary, Tweebie, Jennymort

Take all these 5 stars from me, Pierce Brown, take it, you completely deserve it.

Unbelievable… It wasn’t an exaggeration when literally everyone told me the sequels to Red Rising are much better, Golden Son is truly an incredible installment in the trilogy. I praised Red Rising, I enjoyed reading it so much and yet it pales in comparison to its sequel. I started reading Golden Son on 8th January, the day I turned 28, finished it in 3 days and I’m so lucky to have chosen this book to be my first read in my new age.

There’s a new contender for the biggest lie I ever heard and that’s seeing this book shelved under “YA”. I was reluctant to start this series because of it (yes, I'm not a fan of YA) but I'm really glad that didn't stop me. Forget all the similarity with other YA books you think you’ve seen or heard in Red Rising, you won’t find any of them here at all. It completely goes into adult military sci-fi territory and written like one. No sugar coating, there’s a lot of harsh words, bloodbaths, brutality and some gore here. Unless your 13 old kids have their balls or tits tempered with Thor’s hammer, I recommend you to make them stay away from this book. It’s up to you in the end though, who knows? Maybe your kids will learn how to defy their bullies with Lego after reading this book since there are a lot of strategy and badasses involved here.

Whether you’re one of those who loved (like me) or hated the previous book because of the plot, I’ll assure you that this time the plot took off in a completely different direction than before and it’s so much better. It relies on the foundation laid by the first book to hurl the plot itself to become a massive sci-fi and space opera (literally from page 1). Packed with non-stop actions, politics, bloody space or ground warfare and twists and turns, it will truly grip you right from the beginning until the end. Seriously, there are only a few chapters where you’re allowed to take a break before the story pulls you into all the madness and blood feud again.

Have I mentioned the ending is so mind-blowing it's designed to give you an anxiety attack? I strongly recommend you to have MORNING STAR (Last book of the trilogy) beside you before you finished the book. It’s probably one of the most fucked up cliffhangers I ever experienced in my whole life. (I’m actually typing this review after I read the first 2 chapter of Morning Star straight after finishing Golden Son, otherwise this review will consist only of me typing my foamy mouth into words “argh urgh fruha euehoqo dsuhckijk quhaorj uhjqpkco”.)

Frankly, I didn’t expect myself to get attached to the characters in this book so much when I started the series but I do, I really do. I’m a huge sucker for great character developments. I love when there is an improvement in the characters personality, strength and weaknesses and changes in all their relationships. Whether it’s in the form of love blossomed or betrayal casted, as long as they’re executed perfectly and make sense, I’ll never get tired of them and this book has them all.

There are some new great characters here, Ragnar (not Lothbrok), Victra and Lorn specifically but my favorite part will have to be seeing the relationship development between Darrow and his best friends, old and new, especially Sevro. These two friendships are what I’d definitely called #friendshipgoals, they understand each other, bantered carelessly and most of all loyal to each other. Sadly I can’t tell you much more on this part this time as there are a lot of factors that I think would be much better for you to experience it yourself rather than hearing it from me but I’ll let you know that Darrow and Sevro are definitely my favorite and the best characters in the book for me.

Darrow

Sevro’s re-introduction

The world-building scale is bigger than before as this time we deal with space travel and worlds hopping. It’s much easier to read and imagine compare to before as almost all the info dump was established already in the first book. This time, none of the world-building felt like Earth anymore and that’s a huge plus for me, I don’t want my head to imagine Earth when the settings are clearly not.

I mentioned before in my Red Rising review that I absolutely loved Pierce Brown’s writing, it still holds true here, in fact, I love it even more now as I really think he really improved his writing style. It’s much more engrossing, immersive, poetic and yet still retained all the previous elements that captivated me.

There are also a lot of great one-liners and fantastic quotes which will give you hope, laughter or something to think upon when you go through the book, here are some of my favorites:

“I will die. You will die. We will all die and the universe will carry on without care. All that we have is that shout into the wind - how we live. How we go. And how we stand before we fall.”

“Home isn't where you're from, it's where you find light when all grows dark.”

“Friendships take minutes to make, moments to break, years to repair.”

"I'm Gold, bitch. What'd you expect? Warm milk and cookies just because I'm pocket sized?”

Adrenaline inducement is imminent, words you read will shoot straight to your heart and fill your feelings with love towards the main and side characters, rage and hatred towards the villains. Betrayal, bloodydamn epic action and military warfare (ground and space) sequences are written so vivid it felt like I’m experiencing a much more epic and dark version of Star Wars/Trek (yes I said that, deal with it).

I’m putting this entry into my favorite shelves. Golden Son is everything I ever wanted in a Sci-Fi book, Pierce Brown himself said this is his favorite book out of the trilogy and I really don’t think the 3rd book could top this one but it still remains to be seen. I can say with confidence though that if Morning Star didn’t disappoint, this series will definitely become one of my favorite series of all time.

I urge you strongly to start this series if you love any of these: Sci-fi, space opera, great actions, fantastic climax, great characterization with strong plot, perfect pacing or if you’re eager get your adrenaline fix, hey you don’t need to ride an extreme roller coaster, look no further, read this book and you’ll get all these experience for hours. I may sound calm in my review but inside my burning heart I’m typing this review with fingers full of adrenaline rush from the endless “one more chapter” syndrome this book gave me. This book is the kind of drug I need in this world where sometimes, we simply need a portal to escape from our boring reality and I bloodydamn hope you will experience this as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden Son.

Quotes Petrik Liked

Pierce Brown
“There is no greater plague to an introvert than the extrovert.”

Pierce Brown
“Wise men read books about history. Strong men write them.”

Pierce Brown
“Friendships take minutes to make, moments to break, years to repair.”

Pierce Brown
“Home isn't where you're from, it's where you find light when all grows dark.”

Pierce Brown
“You're a sinister little shit, aren't you?" Victra asks.

Pierce Brown
“Rise so high, in mud you lie.”

October 6, 2016 – Shelved
January 8, 2017 – Started Reading
January 8, 2017 –
page 130
29.41% "I am seriously thinking of bailing my job tomorrow to continue reading this. SO GOOD!!"
January 10, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 82 (82 new)

Jesica Happy birthday, Petrik :D

Haïfa Waw this is one of your best reviews Petrik ! You're at your best when you passionately love a book ! And you were well inspired with this one!

Petrik Haïfoun wrote: "Waw this is one of your best reviews Petrik ! You're at your best when you passionately love a book ! And you were well inspired with this one!
"

Haifa!! Thank you so much for your praise, that means a lot to me :') I feel like my review this time is a bit too long though, I was in a trance while writing it. :p

Jesica wrote: "Happy birthday, Petrik :D"

Thank you Jesica! :D

LittleBookDruid I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p"

I am Druid! whether I love or hate it I always do! :D

message 6: by TS (new) - rated it 4 stars

TS Chan Gorydamn good review Petrik! This was the best book in the series IMO.

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p"

I am Druid! whether I love or hate it I always do! :D"

There's no in between. :D

message 8: by Petrik (last edited Jan 10, 2017 04:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Petrik TS wrote: "Gorydamn good review Petrik! This was the best book in the series IMO."

Thanks TS! Honestly I really don't see book 3 topping this and a lot of people seems to agree with you that this one is the best in the series! :)

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p"

I am Druid! whether I love or hate it I always do! :D"
There's no in between. :D"

Nope! no in between! you can see my review on Uprooted and In the Afterlight how I hated those two with fiery passion XD

Alagaesia.Books WOW that's an awesome review!! You totally hyped me! Now I want to read this more than ever *-* thank you Petrik

Eon ♒Windrunner♒  Love the review Petrik!

Petrik Alagaesia.Books wrote: "WOW that's an awesome review!! You totally hyped me! Now I want to read this more than ever *-* thank you Petrik"

thank you and you're welcome Dorina! hey you bought the book already so it's about time you start reading it!! :)

message 13: by Colleen (new)

Colleen Wonderful review, Petrik! And Happy Birthday!

Alagaesia.Books yea I know >_< but first I have to finish reading my cr

Petrik Eon ♒Windrunner♒ wrote: "Love the review Petrik!"

Thank you Eon! this is an amazing series!

Petrik Colleen wrote: "Wonderful review, Petrik! And Happy Birthday!"

Aww thank you Colleen!! <3

Petrik Alagaesia.Books wrote: "yea I know >_< but first I have to finish reading my cr"

Haha i'll be waiting for you to read this one then! :)

Alagaesia.Books I let you know when I start reading :)

Tweebs♥️ (hiatus) Ok thanks patty like I think I'm going to skip school just to finish this >.< did the end really fuck you up ?? because IM NOT READY MAN !!

Celeste I think this was your best review yet, love. Fantastic job!! I'll catch up with you as soon as I can. ;)

Petrik Tweebs☯ wrote: "Ok thanks patty like I think I'm going to skip school just to finish this >.< did the end really fuck you up ?? because IM NOT READY MAN !!"

haha you're welcome Tweebie. Oh it did, my heart almost leaped out of my mouth. Prepare yourself! :)

message 22: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p"

I am Druid! whether I love or hate it I always do! :D..."

Geez, GR needs a thumbs up option in comments. I like that strategy. :D

Petrik Celeste wrote: "I think this was your best review yet, love. Fantastic job!! I'll catch up with you as soon as I can. ;)"

aww thank you so much love!! that's so kind of you to say that! I'll wait for you to finish this and we'll talk about it! ;)

Petrik LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p"

I am Druid! whether I love or hate it ..."

Haha! GR really should implement that! after half star rating of course.. :'D

message 25: by Dia (new)

Dia Amazing review,Petrik :) This sounds interesting.

Petrik Angel ❤️ BookHearts Forever ❤️ wrote: "Amazing review,Petrik :) This sounds interesting."

Thank you Angel! it truly is interesting and an amazing book! :D

Margret Totally agree, Golden Son was a fucking masterpiece. I was clawing my eyes out after reading it because it was about a year before Morning Star was to be released

message 28: by LittleBookDruid (new)

LittleBookDruid Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "Petrik wrote: "LittleBookDruid wrote: "I am seeing a trend here. You're quite passionate about the books you read. :p"

I am Druid! wh..."

Yeah, those are important too. :/

Petrik Margret wrote: "Totally agree, Golden Son was a fucking masterpiece. I was clawing my eyes out after reading it because it was about a year before Morning Star was to be released"

It's truly a masterpiece, especially the 'Iron Rain' scenes. Oh my god Margret, I'm so lucky I didn't have to wait that long! what a torment how did you even wait after that ending!?

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ Jesus..... I can't wait to get to this one. I hope to have Red Rising done tonight if not tomorrow. (Curse the need to pack my crap!!!) But put me as a BR buddy on these as I'm going through all three of these within (hopefully) the next week. And then we can fangirl, or in your case fanboy, about these together! I'm so glad these are freaking amazing!

message 31: by prag ♻ (new) - added it

prag ♻ glad you liked it! (more than me, lmao i DNFed it) also, happy belated birthday :))

Margret Yep in those scenes I don't even remember seeing words on the page, I had a full on movie playing in my head. I even had music playing in my mind too!

Petrik Pragya wrote: "glad you liked it! (more than me, lmao i DNFed it) also, happy belated birthday :))"

that's too bad this doesn't work for you Pragya, I really like this series! Thank you for your wishes btw! :)

Petrik Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "Jesus..... I can't wait to get to this one. I hope to have Red Rising done tonight if not tomorrow. (Curse the need to pack my crap!!!) But put me as a BR buddy on these as I'm going through all th..."

Done Jenn, I included you in my BR list and will do the same for the last book! Packing is a crap really, I seriously can't wait to talk about the book with you, there's just so much things happening! Happy reading Jenn :D

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ I am so tired from packing. I hope to have my stuff out of my house and shipped across country by the end of the month. I really don't have a lot of stuff but damn.... I have a lot of shit. haha. Goodwill is gonna get rich off my stuff that I'm giving them.

I saw a status update from Luna about Sevro being all bad ass in his wolf costume. Did you hear my screeching from where you are? The sound waves should make it there by now. haha.

Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ Omg Petrikkkkkkk you flyin'!!!! I can't wait to get to this FUCK lol

Petrik Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "I am so tired from packing. I hope to have my stuff out of my house and shipped across country by the end of the month. I really don't have a lot of stuff but damn.... I have a lot of shit. haha. G..."

Gorydamn, goodluck with your packing Jenn! hopefully you'll be done with it sooner than later!

I think I heard your screeched just now Jenn, seriously though Sevro is so badass especially in Golden Son. I mean cmon, just look at him in the picture I post on my review, so awesome and badass! Also, he's hilarious XD

Petrik Margret wrote: "Yep in those scenes I don't even remember seeing words on the page, I had a full on movie playing in my head. I even had music playing in my mind too!"

oh man Margret, hearing you say that made me relive those scenes again, so amazing! I agree with you, it's like the words turned into a movie completely during that part!

Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ It's the best book in the series imo. And it's so so so good. And shocking. And just imagine the agony, back at the time when I read this the third book was not yet published. That being said, fantastic review :)

Petrik Mary ~Ravager of Tomes~ wrote: "Omg Petrikkkkkkk you flyin'!!!! I can't wait to get to this FUCK lol"

I love this series so much I can't stop reading it Mary! (You'll understand once you get to this book!) Also, I heard the audiobook is really great from a lot of people so I know you'll fly through it too! :)

Petrik Layla ✷ Praise the sun ✷ wrote: "It's the best book in the series imo. And it's so so so good. And shocking. And just imagine the agony, back at the time when I read this the third book was not yet published. That being said, fant..."

Thank you Layla!! This one is so good I'm still amazed, I really didn't expect Pierce Brown to up his game this much in the 2nd book. I can't imagine the pain you go through though, I write this review after reading 2 chapter of Morning Star otherwise well... I'm screwed XD

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ I CAN'T WAIT TO READ MOREEEE!!!

Petrik Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "I CAN'T WAIT TO READ MOREEEE!!!"

ME TOO!! I CAN'T WAIT FOR YOU TO READ MORE TOO!

Mayim de Vries Not a fan of Sevro myself, but I think we are indebted to Pierce Brown forever for Mustang. I reckon she is one of the best female protagonists in the whole YA-fantasy-sci-fi crowd (and it's a huge crowd as you know). Great review, I am sure you will enjoy the final instalment too!

☽Luna☾ Great review ! that part "I thought the biggest lie was when my ex said she will love me forever" ! Haha speedy eye oppa we can share sevro to fill the void

☽Luna☾ Omg unless ur kids have their balls or tits tempered.... BAHAHAHAHA

♔ Dark Lordette Jennymort ♔ ☽Lady Luna☾ wrote: "Omg unless ur kids have their balls or tits tempered.... BAHAHAHAHA"

The sass. Hahahahaah!

Petrik Mayim wrote: "Not a fan of Sevro myself, but I think we are indebted to Pierce Brown forever for Mustang. I reckon she is one of the best female protagonists in the whole YA-fantasy-sci-fi crowd (and it's a huge..."

Thank you Mayim! Mustang is a great character but I really don't think this book is YA, no idea why it's shelved that way. Can't wait to finish the last book myself!

Petrik ☽Lady Luna☾ wrote: "Great review ! that part "I thought the biggest lie was when my ex said she will love me forever" ! Haha speedy eye oppa we can share sevro to fill the void"

Thank you sister!! Haha Darrow and Sevro already filled the void! :D

Petrik Jenn *The Dark Lord Scribe, House of Slytheread* wrote: "☽Lady Luna☾ wrote: "Omg unless ur kids have their balls or tits tempered.... BAHAHAHAHA"

The sass. Hahahahaah!"