JG (The Introverted Reader)'s Reviews > Persuasion

Persuasion by Jane Austen

Anne Elliot is the daughter of a peacock of a baronet. She had a chance to marry Captain Wentworth when they were both young, but her family and friends talked her out of the match. Now that she's twenty-eight and still single, he has retired from the sea and re-enters her circle of acquaintances.

My favorite Austen! Captain Wentworth! *sigh* Or is it *swoon*?

This was a nice blend of Austen's pointed social commentary and a (bitter)sweet romance. Anne's family is just awful. They are silly, vain and entirely too class-conscious. They insist on their "inferiors" showing them the proper amount of deference and later spend their time toadying up to those of a higher rank. They aren't really very happy but they're so self-obsessed that they don't even consciously notice it. One of Anne's sisters shows her discontent by always forcing those around her to pay constant attention to her. She's more childish than her children! I was ready to smack her. And her other sister. And her father. Hmmm. I think that's everybody.

Anne, by contrast, is practical, sympathetic, and down-to-earth. She sweetly tries to rein in her family's sillier tendencies while also trying to do her best by those around her, no matter their "station." She's the one with a cool head who can be relied upon when crises arise. She's the one who can be relied upon to nurse those who are injured or ill. She's also the quiet one, so I was worried that she would never have the courage to go after what she wanted.

And then there's Captain Wentworth, my new book crush. I've never been crazy about Mr. Darcy and Company(*gasp* The horror!), but Wentworth is the Austen hero for me. He's always polite, a good conversationalist, manly, a war hero, and protective of the women in his circle. This was about four stars for me until right at the very end, then Wentworth pulled out all the stops, my heart fluttered, and the rating came solidly to rest at a five. Men should read at least the last couple of chapters of this book if they want to know what women want from them.

You know already if you're an Austen fan or not, so there's not much point in my saying who will like this. I will say that I'm glad that Misty shoved this at me encouraged me to finally read this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Persuasion.

June 8, 2007 – Shelved
February 21, 2010 – Shelved as: reviewed
February 21, 2010 – Shelved as: z_setting_uk
February 21, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Ooo I look forward to your review of this one. I think for a lot of people this is their favorite Austen.

Becky Liz wrote: "Ooo I look forward to your review of this one. I think for a lot of people this is their favorite Austen."

I read and really enjoyed this book. My favorite is still S&S though - I just love Marianne. :)

JG (The Introverted Reader) Marianne? It's been years since I read that one, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have much patience for her. To each his own though. I've also never had a "thing" for Mr. Darcy. Oh, the horror! ;)

Becky JG wrote: "Marianne? It's been years since I read that one, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have much patience for her. To each his own though. I've also never had a "thing" for Mr. Darcy. Oh, the horror! ;)"

I know, it's strange. I love her because she's so UNLIKE me. I am definitely more of the Elinor kind, but I love Marianne's passion... IN the book. If I knew her in real life, I'd probably be tempted to slap her! LOL ;)

Misty Yay! I hope you love this like I love this. It's the most slow-burning, and the most sort of sad and serious (though there's plenty of Austen humor), and it's just beautiful. I love these characters and their story. If you get a chance, slap Mary for me (not to be confused with the Marianne you were speaking of -- you'll see). Actually, just go ahead and slap both sisters.

JG (The Introverted Reader) I haven't gotten very far yet, but I am already itching to slap Mary, and I can see that Elizabeth's turn is coming. Heck, I might just get the father while I'm at it too!

message 7: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Becky wrote: "Liz wrote: "Ooo I look forward to your review of this one. I think for a lot of people this is their favorite Austen."

I read and really enjoyed this book. My favorite is still S&S though - I j..."

I'm a big S&S fan as well, although I have to say Darcy's proposal at the end of P&P gets me teary eyed. I also LOVE the Sense and Sensibility movie directed by Ang Lee.

Anyways, JG, your review is awesome! I agree that Wentworth is very swoon worthy, but I have to say that part of why I love Darcy is because he puts his status on the line for Elizabeth. I'm also a big Colonel Brandon fan (S&S). Huzzah for Austen men!

message 8: by Hayes (new)

Hayes I haven't read this one. I have never been able to find the time, but I guess there is no time like the present.... it's even ready and waiting on my eBook!

Great review JG!

message 9: by Liz (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liz Hayes, you definitely should :)

message 10: by JSou (new)

JSou Great review, JG! Honestly, the only Austen I've read is Pride & Predjudice which I felt kind of so-so about. After reading your review, I think I'm going to have to give this one a go.

JG (The Introverted Reader) Thanks! You guys should definitely read it. I don't think I mentioned it in my review, but I liked that everyone was older and had a better idea of what they wanted and who they actually were.

Becky JG wrote: "Thanks! You guys should definitely read it. I don't think I mentioned it in my review, but I liked that everyone was older and had a better idea of what they wanted and who they actually were."

Yes, that is one of the things that I liked about this one too.

Liz, I loved the end of P&P, but I have to say that the Wentworth letter is one of the most romantic things put on paper. Ever.

JG (The Introverted Reader) You got that right! I had to read it to my husband. He got it, I'm happy to say. :)