Jane Stewart's Reviews > Totally Buzzed

Totally Buzzed by Gale Borger

liked it
bookshelves: humorous-paranormal-mystery

Lighthearted mystery with bungling acquaintances. Unfortunately the humor didn’t work for me.

STORY BRIEF:
Buzz is probably in her 50s, a retired small town cop. She has three single sisters, Fred owns a pet store, Mag is a high school biology teacher, Al is a bossy, self-absorbed publicity seeking librarian. Buzz’s mother and her geriatric friends listen to police scanners and gossip and show up at crime scenes bringing food and turning them into picnics. Buzz has two dogs who sometimes accompany her and create spills and messes.

When looking for something else, Buzz discovers a dead body under the crawl space under her parents’ home. Buzz investigates with her sister Mag. Since Buzz is no longer a cop, she has no problem sneaking around, breaking and entering, and taking evidence. Her sister Mag does stupid things like talk too loud and use a flashlight when they are sneaking around at night. If the bad guys are there, they would hear her and see the flashlight. Mag also trips and falls a few times. The local constable Ted causes problems due to his extreme stupidity.

The bad guys are killing people, horses, and are involved with drugs.

REVIEWER’S OPINION:
I’m labeling the genre as humorous mystery because it’s meant to be funny, but I didn’t laugh. I prefer a different kind of humor. It has a slapstick quality. Buzz is a smart cop with psychic visions which are supposed to help her investigate. She’s surrounded by bungling family members and acquaintances. She has a good relationship with the sheriff. He’s smart. She’s attracted to him. There may be a future romance for them in a future book. For now he rubs the top of her head which bugs her.

This was ok as a mystery. Things get solved. There is a happy ending. Think of it as a wacky collection of a dozen different types of people and pets. The character definitions were interesting. I just wish I would have laughed out loud at something. That would have made it more stars for me. I think mystery lovers might like it. There was an interesting and complex bad guy plot.

Buzz had psychic visions when she worked on cases. Upon seeing the dead body Buzz has a vision showing exactly what happened to cause the death. She took notes about her vision and discussed it with the sheriff, but then she and the sheriff never again referred to any of those details. They slowly uncovered evidence that proved her vision, but they acted as if they hadn’t known these things. The vision was ignored during the rest of the book which bothered me.

DATA:
Story length: 264 pages. Swearing language: moderate, including religious swear words. Sexual language: none. Number of sex scenes: one, 1 ½ pages long. Setting: current day small town in southeastern Wisconsin, with some Texas and Illinois. Copyright: 2010. Genre: humorous paranormal mystery.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Totally Buzzed.

Started Reading