Kaitlyn Bouchillon's Reviews > Finding Your Voice: What Every Woman Needs to Live Her God-Given Passions Out Loud

Finding Your Voice by Natalie Grant

it was ok

As a fan of several of Grant's songs, I was really interested to read her newest book. I wasn't sure what her writing style would be and I didn't know if she would weave in personal stories, but I hoped to hear a few "stories behind the songs," if you will.

The chapter titles are smart, and the overall message of the book relates back to a singing career. If you are a singer, I think you'll get more out of the book. There are some things, though, that are used as examples or metaphors and if you don't sing (or don't know music/how to read music) you may miss some of the points Grant tries to make.

I appreciated that she included several stories from the Bible but also shared her own insights about those stories. I would have liked to read a lot more of her own story, though. It seemed like the majority of the book was advice or music/stage talk. I don't mean "stage talk" as in fake or for show, as Grant does reveal brief glimpses into personal pieces of her life story. Rather, I mean that she uses language and metaphors that just may not translate to everyone if they didn't grow up singing or acting on a stage.

Honestly, there isn't one particular thing about the book that I greatly dislike... and so I truly hesitate to give it two stars (two stars on GoodReads = "it was okay"). But I can't give it more than that, as I didn't have any take-aways from the book and don't see myself reading it again. Some may say it deserves more if I can't pinpoint anything. However, something about it just felt off, like parts of the story were missing, like it went a bit past surface level but didn't stay in the deep waters for long. If that's your kind of book, then you're probably going to love this! Like I said before, Grant offers insights and interesting singing-related metaphors. But if you're wanting to learn a lot about her story, this just may not be what you're looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Finding Your Voice.

October 5, 2016 – Started Reading