Peycho Kanev's Reviews > Selected Poems

Selected Poems by E.E. Cummings

4420422
Jun 17, 2011

bookshelves: poetry

Well, he gave us the perfect line: cut, edgy, bold; like a shining diamond. He was more modern than the modern poets today. Yes, that's the truth. And, of course he was wonderful painter, artist. What else do we need? In times when almost everyone wrote like they wrote 200 years ago he showed us that there is another way to put the lines, another way to go at the subject; you can just cut it in half and to hell with it. One of the best avant-gard poets and he was guarding his style with his massive work, you know. So read, you all, Edward Estlin Cummings, just to know that there is still some beauty in the poetry today; that not all of it is academic and dry as bacon. That was all. Until the next book, until the next Word!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Selected Poems.

message 1: by Tim (new)

Tim Peycho, I agree with you. I think Cummings has gotten a bum wrap and as a result he's fallen out of fashion. Even without his innovations he was a fine poet with an enviable sensibility.

Tim

Peycho Kanev Yes! Thank you, Tim. My thoughts exactly!

message 3: by Poppy (new)

Poppy Yes, I agree with you Peycho - and you wrote a great review, too!

Peycho Kanev Thanx!

message 5: by Kimberly Laura (new)

Kimberly Laura Malone I love this review Peycho. I remember the first time I saw (and read) his poetry. I was around 12 and I thought, "Now this is it. I totally get this guy!"

Peycho Kanev Thank you very much, Kimberly!

message 7: by Joan (new)

Joan Colby He was not afraid to be political either--"I Sing of Olaf Glad and Big"

Peycho Kanev Yes, Joan. That is tight. Great poem.