Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)'s Reviews > Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, young-adult, mystery-thriller, read-in-2016

“I used to dream about escaping my ordinary life, but my life was never ordinary. I had simply failed to notice how extraordinary it was.”

I will give to this book 3/5 Stars

description

I have felt many contradictory things with this book, I don't say that it's one of my favorites, but I certainly will remember it for its excellent plot, I think the writer has an incredible imagination and I'm very pleased to have met this book.

I think everyone already knows a bit about what the story is, but still I summarize it: The story is told by Jacob, a boy of 15 years old, which his grandfather had this small fantastic stories about his youth, when he met some "peculiar" kids, who had special skills and while Jacob grows up, ends for believing that the stories of his grandfather are nothing more than stories, until something sinister happens and decides to investigate about it, until he meets with these children, who incredibly, they look like the photos that his grandfather showed to him , without having aged a day.

“When someone won't let you in, eventually you stop knocking.”

Well, as I said before, the plot is fantastic, but still hasn't been enough to impress me.
I decided to read it because I was eager to see the movie, which I saw the trailer and left me wanting more, and since I have bad experiences to see the movie first and then read the book, I decided to do it right this time and go for the book first.
This may sound strange but sadly I liked more the trailer or the promise of what would, that what the book was.

description

At first I was hooked with the story but thought that reading was a bit slow, when I thought I had read much, I really wasn't, and that frustrates me a little, even so I continue because the plot is initially compelling .
After the first 100 pages turned out faster to read, but a little less interesting, and althoughI really liked the character of Jacob, wasn't the way with the character of Emma , ​​I feel it has a somewhat overreacted and dramatic character, and even I found her quite hysterical, I couldn't really connect with her. Not to mention the romance, that was anything but romantic, was forced and hard to believe , I think Emma saw Jacob as second option from the beginning and he believed all that. I feel sorry for that guy haha.

description

“We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high.”

on the other hand, I loved Millard , I think it's adorable

Something that I just think that is amazing, are the images which the book contains, I've loved that!, is very original and many turned out to be quite creepy, which is perfect for these times of Halloween!

I can see that Emma's skill is not the same in the movie, as they are changed, I don't know how I feel about that, maybe they did since the levitation was more "interesting" for the plot, I don't know, but I will , once see the movie :).

description

I'm not sure if I will continue with the trilogy, perhaps, but not for the moment, the truth is I'm more interested in going to other readings, even so , maybe I'll go for these books again with the time :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

October 5, 2016 – Shelved
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 6, 2016 – Started Reading
October 6, 2016 –
page 0
0.0% "I have to say that although I don't think it's my kind of reading, I'm dying of curiosity and we are in October so I'll give it a try! :)"
October 7, 2016 –
page 112
31.82% "I really like the plot, I think it is super original and I like Jacob too ,is a good main character, even so, it's getting a little heavy to read , I feel that I don't advance as easily as with my previous readings of this month, but I'm super determined to finish it! :)"
October 7, 2016 –
page 112
October 8, 2016 –
page 289
October 9, 2016 –
page 315
89.49% "I hope to finish tomorrow, and write a proper review for it too, I'm quite enjoying right now, but I have no time, you know, real life calls me LOL."
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: fantasy
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
October 10, 2016 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller
October 10, 2016 – Finished Reading
September 14, 2019 – Shelved as: read-in-2016

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)

Harshad Sharma I Just finished the book i was occupied with,, I am a few pages in this book, hoping to finish by the week end. 4 stars is encouraging.

message 2: by Emma (new)

Emma Secton That's it? Not so interested now. :/

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) Harshad wrote: "I Just finished the book i was occupied with,, I am a few pages in this book, hoping to finish by the week end. 4 stars is encouraging."

In fact, I ended up for given it a 3 star, I loved the idea of the history but I'm not sure of anything more right now, anyway I would like to know your thoughts when you're done !, I hope you enjoy it more than me :)

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) Emma wrote: "That's it? Not so interested now. :/"

I'm sorry honey, I don't want this put you off, didn't work for me, although the idea of the writer is super original, there are many things I couldn't pass up, even so if you feel very curious about it, you can try, I would like to know if it works for you :).

Danielle (The Blonde Likes Books) Great review! I had a lot of similar feelings while reading the book and debated a lot between 3 and 4 stars. I landed more at the 3.5 mark, so rounded up, but I had the same issues with it. I was SO excited to read it because of how hyped up it had been, and I felt a little let down. The story line was interesting, and I felt like it had the potential to be better.

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) Danielle wrote: "Great review! I had a lot of similar feelings while reading the book and debated a lot between 3 and 4 stars. I landed more at the 3.5 mark, so rounded up, but I had the same issues with it. I was ..."

You literally took away the words out of my mouth, that's exactly how I felt, I also think it could have been much better, the plot is incredible.
Goodreads need half stars so urgently!

Sandra I was really disappointed with this when I read it. The plot was intriguing, but the way it was executed wasn't too good. I felt bad that the other Peculiars weren't given a time to shine. And Jacob as a character wasn't at all that compelling. I didn't really feel bad about his grandfather dying. I didn't feel anything about everything he is going through. This could have been really great though. I wish I liked it more.

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) WHAT ARIA LOVES wrote: "I was really disappointed with this when I read it. The plot was intriguing, but the way it was executed wasn't too good. I felt bad that the other Peculiars weren't given a time to shine. And Jaco..."

Super agree with you, had the potential to be more but it wasn't enough for me :/

Harshad Sharma So, i did not like it, at all. It was a disappointment to be honest. Surprisingly, movie trailer looks interesting.

Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.) Harshad wrote: "So, i did not like it, at all. It was a disappointment to be honest. Surprisingly, movie trailer looks interesting."

I understand, I also found the most interesting trailer than the book, maybe I give it an opportunity to the movie soon