Sundari Venkatraman's Reviews > Knitted Tales: A Collection of Emotions

Knitted Tales by Rubina Ramesh

The title drew me right in. I am a sucker for emotional drama. What’s the worth of a story if it doesn’t make one emote? I need to either laugh, cry, love, hate or whatever. And so I delved into the book that promised a whole collection of them.

The cover goes perfectly with the title and even more so with the stories that have been knitted within.

I have read the author’s writing on and off and have always believed she’s an excellent story-teller, especially shorts. Rubina Ramesh has her own style of presenting a story – THUD – like a slap on one’s face. The scenes make you sit up and take notice as she weaves words into sentences that stir you up.

The book begins with a tale called “A secret in their closet”. Curiosity tickled, I read on, goose pimples standing out on my skin. The story of Anjali and Payal is sure to make you bite your nails.

I never expected “Betrayal” to end the way it did. Hard hitting! The writing is so powerful that you want to kick the antagonist, hard.

“Chiclets” is a sweet little story that absolutely touched my heart – simple and beautiful.

“Forgive Me, for I have sinned” touches a bold theme. I liked Sharda’s character – the wife who accepts her husband Abhijit for exactly what he is. Nicely penned with crisp dialogue.

“Lolita” is one of the best stories. I so loved the way Lolita is brought to life by the author’s words. I want more. Is there a full novel in the making, Rubina Ramesh? (Please say ‘yes’)

“No Regrets” is another cutesy story about NRI life in the USA. I loved the way Raima dealt with her situation as an undervalued housewife.

“SuvarnaRekha” has a surprising setting, interesting story, unexpected ending. I felt sad while reading it, but I don’t think the lovers really cared. What attitude!

“The Little Godmother” is heart touchingly beautiful. A lovely must read for young parents.

“The Missing Staircase” – I could so relate to Christie’s beautiful relationship with her grandfather. The title is perfect and the second half startlingly unexpected.

“The Other Woman” – I cried for fourteen-year-old Aru. Touched me deeply. I still don’t know if I should be angry with Aru’s parents or feel sorry for them.

“Daddy, Hear me out” – I went back to my children’s school days. My daughter used to hate exams and the pressure they brought with them. Jaspreet’s situation will touch a chord among many youngsters. The story is a clarion call for us to wake up to reality and let our children live their lives. The scene where the author has described Jaspreet’s thoughts as she sits at the examination table brings the anguish of a student to life.

“I suck at examinations. I hate them. My mind stops working when the question paper lands on my desk and all I see is a black abyss. I can see the answers at the end of the black tunnel. Often I run towards them, hoping I can hold them in my two hands and put them down on the paper. But they escape me. Like small angels, naughty ones, who have just come to torment me and then flutter away. Mocking me with their presence, yet escaping me and leaving me behind, parched.”

“Cliff Notes” is in first person (as many of the above stories) and is the best of the lot. At the end of it, I wanted to hug this ‘person’ who was telling the story.

Other quotes from #KnittedTales that stayed back with me:

“If silence had a sound of its own, then there would be a cacophony of screams.”

“Her heart soared when trembling hands held an umbrella over her, lest the angry sun peeled away the layers of her beauty.”

VERDICT: You can’t afford to ignore Rubina Ramesh’s words or her writing style, if you are an avid reader. You’d miss something truly valuable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitted Tales.

Finished Reading
October 4, 2016 – Shelved
October 4, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Pankaj (new) - added it

Pankaj You aren't a bad writer yourself! Enjoyed the review and I'm definitely reading Rubina Ramesh’s words.

Sundari Venkatraman You should or you wouldn't know what you are missing