Dipanshu Rawal's Reviews > That's News To Me

That's News To Me by Manjula Lal

Wow!
That's the first word which strike my mind after reading Manjula Lal's "That's News to Me!"

I am mesmerized with the themes, the book touched. On every second page, the reader is going to find a deep food-for-thought topic. The character of Manush is penned down very well. The.protagonist Manus is a correspondent.of a Noida magazine. His journey is created neatly that connects the reader to the story.

Manush's thoughts provoke some serious thinking, all through the metaphors, though. Consider this quote-
"... my ancestors fed off the misery of the public- misery inflicted on them by colonial rulers, just as I am feeding off the misery inflicted by the brown Sahibs by reporting it as nauseam." (Page- 59)
The narration is easy to follow and the language used is commendable. The wit and sarcasm are used beautifully and aptly on instances. Consider this line-
"In fact, there was no denying it, her interest in authorized colonies came from genes that had land hunger embedded in the DNA." (Page- 119)
Typical journalist's words, huh?

As I said, the topics author touched while depicting a journalist's journey is quite appreciable. Well, it should've been expected. She is a journalist. Knowing anything and everything under the sun is their job. Hmm?

I may not comment whether or not I agreed with the author's take on every subject, but I do appreciate the way she brought up so much in just a few pages. Like, consider this line-

"... the Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh called a press conference to announce it had instituted 'reform', the accepted word for changes demanded by the times." (Page- 210)
I may disagree on a lot of instances whether the author lighted the subjects right or not, but it was an awesome time spent reading this book.

The author Manjula Lal is an experienced journalist. It is visible from her work. The language, the words used, the scenes depicted, everything is engrossing.

The book is indeed an amazing art by the author.

For detailed review, visit this link-

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read That's News To Me.

October 1, 2016 – Started Reading