Nicole Field's Reviews > The Pants Project

The Pants Project by Cat Clarke

Oct 04, 2016

bookshelves: netgalley

NetGalley Review

Easily as good as George, I'm doubly glad for Netgalley introducing me to this author in her debut into middle grade fiction.

Liv is just entering middle school and so around 10 years old when this book starts and is actually a boy. This has never been more apparent than when he enters into a school where the uniform policy dictates that people who were assigned female at birth need to wear skirts.

Although Liv never actually comes out to the teachers at school about why its so important that he is allowed to wear pants, the narrative doesn't suffer from that. This story is above all Liv's journey, and all the people who are important in Liv's life do get told. And react well. Which is always nice to see.

Other interesting things about this book was that Liv's parents are both women--the mums--and his new best friend, Jacob, is someone with a disability and a walking cane.

The author definitely made a good choice in telling the story from first person point of view with this story, which is interesting only in reflection only because the subject of Liv's pronouns doesn't get brought up unless in synopses of the book or reviews like this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Pants Project.

October 4, 2016 – Started Reading
October 4, 2016 – Shelved
October 4, 2016 –
page 37
13.6% ""If I'm being entirely honest, I probably wouldn't have said anything, even if we hadn't been interrupted by the bell. I wasn't ready. Not even close.""
October 5, 2016 –
60.0% ""Do you know what transgender means?""
October 7, 2016 – Finished Reading