C.G. Drews's Reviews > Gracefully Grayson

Gracefully Grayson by Ami Polonsky

bookshelves: contemporary, middle-grade, read-2016

This book is entirely PRECIOUS. It is so very sweet and there was one chapter where I could feel my soul tearing up because ahhhh!!! Books about bravery, being who you truly are, and finding your people -- they always make me feel aaall the things. Bless this little book!

I do, however, wonder about its similarities to George. It's kind of seriously eerie?? Both are about MG books about trans girls who get involved in school plays to come out to themselves, and to the universe. Not even kidding: THE PLOTS ARE EXACTLY THE SAME. Gracefully Grayson is a bit older, set in 6th grade instead of 4th grade. BUT STILL???

(Note: Gracefully Grayson was published in 2014, while George was published in 2015. But knowing how long it takes books to be published I'm pretty sure there's no way George was intentionally "copying" or "inspired" IT'S JUST WEIRD HOW SIMILAR THEY ARE. Anyway: read both because they're both adorable.)

I really loved Grayson, who is the most precious little cinnamon roll. AND NEEDS TO BE PROTECTED. I can't even imagine the bravery that would be needed to be true to yourself in a middle school, woah, and I loved how the book handled everything. There is bullying in here. And there's equal parts ignoring/support from the secondary characters. But like my heart totally did this LITTLE DANCE every time something good happened to Grayson. Grayson is too precious, I am just sayin'.

Also there is thrift shopping in here. GO THE THRIFT SHOPPING. Sorry, ahem, random.

I also appreciate how the book didn't have much closure. It felt like real life, you know?? There are tons of loose threads and questions. Half of me is demanding to knoooow all the things. The other half is really pleased that the book felt so real. I felt like all the dialogue and relationships and scenes were totally realistic which is gloriousness. There is also much feels because who doesn't like to clutch a middle-grade book and be ATTACKED WITH FEELS? Hmm? I thought so.

Okayyyyy, but there are things I wasn't pleased about. Because I'm the Grape of Grump and my overanalysing brain gets nitpicky.

• There was a lot of repetition. The story is mainly set at school, but there were SO many scenes that felt the same and I did get bored several times? It's a tiny book but the middle dragged.
• Grayson lives with their aunt/uncle/cousins, and while they seemed like super nice people...they let the oldest cousin bully Grayson and I don't get it??? Like the cousin would say something mean and the aunt would be "oh don't do that" in a very quiet way. But the later she'd be roasting a teacher or something. So IDEK. I'm not saying this isn't realistic, because it could very well be. But it made me so angry. That cousin needed to be smacked in the head with a potato and told to sit down.
• I'm still not really sure why the favourite teacher, Mr. Finn, got (view spoiler)
• There were a TON of secondary characters and I got them aaall confused. But also my memory is the size of a purple avocado so.

ALL IN ALL: this is a gorgeous story about bravery and being who you are. It's has lovely writing and I connected with Grayson (particularly on appreciation for thrift stores, yas) and despite not being interested in theatre AT ALL (hhahaah #no) I did enjoy the play aspects too. SUCH A CUTE BUT POIGNANT BOOK THO.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gracefully Grayson.

October 4, 2016 – Started Reading
October 4, 2016 – Shelved
October 4, 2016 –
page 63
25.93% "Grayson is a precious little cupcake who needs protecting.\n(But, also: does this have exactly the same plot as George by Alex Gino?????)"
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: read-2016
October 5, 2016 – Shelved as: middle-grade
October 5, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Mead NEED. Also because...cover.

message 2: by Bee (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bee I loooved this book, it's so adorable! More people should read it for sure.

C.G. Drews @Emily: I usually hate yellow covers BUT THIS ONE IS ACTUALLY QUITE NICE. :')

@Bee: Yes!! It's so sweet!

message 4: by Hazel (new) - added it

Hazel (Stay Bookish) Truth: I added this to my TBR way too quickly because of this review. I so need to check this out!!

C.G. Drews @Hazel: yayyyyy. I hope you like it! :D

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie  Hanna GO THE THRIFT SHOPPING. YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. SOMEBODY ELSE UNDERSTANDS.

Charley I read this book a few years ago and LOVED it!