Inderpreet Uppal's Reviews > Knitted Tales: A Collection of Emotions

Knitted Tales by Rubina Ramesh

Knitted Tales, it says is a collection of emotions but it is a collection of feelings, thoughts, and all the colors of life in between. The author has strung together a mix of stories that compel the reader to take a second look, read and savor the tales.

Not all are the ‘feel good’ types since a few of them will make you think and cringe and almost hate humanity. That is the good thing about this collection – it evokes a response from the reader. The best books make us feel, make us cry, laugh and fume as we read them. If a book stays with you long after you have read the tale then it has served its purpose and Knitted Tales does it superbly.

All the stories hold strong individually but I do have my favorites. The book starts with a bang and A Secret in Their Closet was as paranormal and creepy as they come. It ensured I did not open any cupboards for a while.

Betrayal was one story that left me with a multitude of emotions. Was the husband deserving of what he got or was the wife correct in doing what she did? Who did the right thing and why are there such ‘pure evil’ people around us.

Chicklets is a reminder of how children are often the ones who can simplify and solve a lot for us. A sweet story that explores a mother’s mind and a child’s heart.

Love can set us free and love can destroy us, it is so mercurial. Forgive Me, For I Have Sinned was one such tale of love that brought forth the innocence of love and its heartbreak. I loved this one.

Lolita – the name sums it up. A fallen woman or a sacrificed one, why is she the way she is. Sad reality, harsh truths, and easily disposable women – can’t promise that you will like all that you find.

No Regrets was one that left me in splits, I too would not have any regrets doing what Raima did! ;) I enjoyed it thoroughly.
SuvarnaRekha destined to be together but could they truly be ever together? A story of love, loss and sacrifice at the altar of traditions and customs. A sad reality even today as we turn more and more xenophobic.

The Little Godmother was a cute tale and I loved the concerned and caring teacher, we need more like her.
The Missing Staircase left me speechless, searching for my staircase. I hope I can find it when I need it. Touching and tender, this one was bittersweet. Another favorite, though I should not be choosing favorites since each was so well-knit.

The Other Woman was a story that brought forth so much conflict about a woman and who she can be. Jyothi blurred the lines of what is right and how love can make us do the thing our heart feels right even if it is wrong.

Daddy, Hear Me Out is a tale for every parent and their children. Often, their sound and thoughts are buried under our expectations. Jaspreet was one lucky girl.

I loved Cliff Notes as it told a tale from the point of view of the biggest thing on earth, yet it was a tender, heart-wrenching tale. It is a perfect ending to #KnittedTales.

I had read a few of the stories earlier when they were individually published and they stayed with me. Depth and the twists in the stories make a reader’s day and a book full of stirring stories is simply fantastic. I am so glad Rubina decided to publish this book. The cover is unusual, I was wondering about the connection till I saw that the tree forms a face and the butterfly stuck in the web. The cover adds to the mystique of the stories.

It is more than a collection of emotions, it is a melody, a melange, a brew, and an amalgamation of emotions, feelings, and shades of us humans. Pick this to know yourself and us humans a bit more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Knitted Tales.

October 4, 2016 – Shelved