Hillary's Reviews > And the Trees Crept In

And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich

did not like it
bookshelves: thriller-horror-mystery

I'm so glad it's over.
And you call this scary??

I was so excited to read this book. Everyone says it's scary as hell and I was expecting a book that could make me cry from fear. I know I'm not easy to scare, but this one wasn't even creepy. Like AT ALL.
There was maybe some weird imagery (mam sewing hair in her leg, teeth falling etc.) that kind of stuck to my mind, but it didn't give me the creeps.
Everything else was boring. Silla keeps repeating the whole book how something is wrong and that the trees are coming closer.
EVERY SINGLE PAGE.
AND NOTHING ELSE HAPPENS.
Every single page till three quarters in, when something begins to get explained. And might I say, what a stupid conclusion.
The love story was cheesy as hell, it made me gag. Now that I think about it, perhaps that was the most disgusting and horror-ish detail in this novel.
What I liked was the creativity of the format and the increasing size of words on the page in moments of climax (if you want to call them that) that gave a lot of expressiveness to the book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read And the Trees Crept In.

October 3, 2016 – Shelved
October 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
October 3, 2016 – Shelved as: thriller-horror-mystery
October 10, 2016 – Started Reading
October 12, 2016 –
October 14, 2016 –
21.0% "I'm still waiting for this to get scary."
October 18, 2016 –
43.0% "Why am I not scared? Le sigh."
October 19, 2016 –
56.0% "Sadly this became a meh book."
October 20, 2016 –
75.0% "Just end already! I'm almost hating this book."
October 20, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Melissa Stacy "And you call this scary??" Yup. That was the way I felt EXACTLY. Nothing happens. Pages go by, and still nothing happens. Cheesy love story. A conclusion that left plenty of plot holes. "I'm so glad it's over." I finished the book this morning, and that's my thought right now. Thanks for your review!

Hillary Yes, finally I'm not feeling alone anymore! While reading I kept asking myself if I was reading the same book as everyone else.
It was exactly 300 pages of nothing.
Thank you to you!

K.C. Dunford I completely agree. I gave up about half way through. It was a big disappointment for me.

Hillary You did the right thing, it doesn't get better from there, but only worse. That's what I wish I did.

Michelle I kept feeling like I didn't understand what was going on...I think I was just bored!

Valerie I agree, this book was terrible! I kept hoping something awesome would happen to them but to find out it's purgatory! UGH!

Hillary Alice wrote: "I put this book on my to-read list and I'm pretty easy to scare (I'm only twelve) but since I've read this review... I don't know if I want to read it. And plus if it's not that scary than I won't ..."

I read this a bit ago so my thoughts are not so fresh anymore (this also proves that this book is so forgettable), but I can tell you that if you have read We Were Liars you'll probably like it. If not:
- I'm really hard to scare and it's difficult for me to judge a horror book from the perspective of someone who's easily scared. However, if you can be easily shocked by snakes or spiders, then maybe this is for you;
- Yes it's boring because nothing at all happens, I could sum up this book in literally 3 sentences;
- In my opinion the two lovers in here are just thrown together, they have no chemistry and they "love" each other just for the sake of it, that is, just to add substance to the inexistent story line. The cheesiness was something I personally felt, I can't really explain it but they disgusted me when they were together.

I think many people liked this book because of the ending, but honestly if you're easily bored it's not worth it to get there. The ending might only make you even madder.
I hope this helps! Sorry for being late!

Hillary Valerie wrote: "I agree, this book was terrible! I kept hoping something awesome would happen to them but to find out it's purgatory! UGH!"

That's exactly what I expected too! Now I wish I just gave up, the ending really angers me.

Valerie Mari Yeung wrote: "Valerie wrote: "I agree, this book was terrible! I kept hoping something awesome would happen to them but to find out it's purgatory! UGH!"

That's exactly what I expected too! Now I wish I just ga..."

I love your review. The cheesy love story was the scariest thing!

Hillary Thank you! :)
And yes! It gave me the feelings I have whenever I stumble across a sticky couple in public *shivers*

message 11: by Joy (new) - added it

Joy I'm a wimp I guess. I have this marked DNF because it was too scary for me!! Ha

Hillary Hahah that's how it goes sometimes!
We're all different and that's the best part of the world :)