Jody McGrath's Reviews > Cease & Desist

Cease & Desist by Stephen David Hurley

it was ok

Cease de Menich, is a teen actress who has been cast to play Jeanne de Arc in a "reality-drama." The show cast teen girls as historical figures that have to fight to be the last one standing. There are also teen boys in the show, but they just play themselves and fight and hook up with girls. The girls are suppose to find love. That is the first layer of the story.

Before Cease was cast in this role her Mother tried to kill her, her brother committed suicide, and she lives with her aunt that has some secret genealogy. Cease also talks to Jeanne de Arc and believes her power is her virginity.

Okay, if my description of this book was confusing, it is because that is how I felt through the whole book. I gave it two stars, because I did finish the book, but it wasn't because I was enjoying it. I wanted to see how much more it tried to become. This book was not just a cross genre. This book was floundering in an identity crises of genres. It was desperately trying to be something, it just couldn't make up its mind what that was. Dystopian? Paranormal? Christian? Literary fiction? Coming-of-age? Metaphorical? Action? I have no clue. It kept changing. One minute it was graphic violence and almost sex scenes, and the next was very preachy. I never quite figured out Cease's backstory.

I cannot recommend this book to anyone. I still don't know what I read. I tried to explain it to my husband and he said just stop reading it now. It doesn't deserve to be read. That is a little harsh, but not entirely wrong.

* I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review *

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cease & Desist.

October 3, 2016 – Started Reading
October 3, 2016 – Shelved
October 3, 2016 –
10.0% "I haven't got far yet. I am so confused. There is a reality show where the girls are famous woman: Joan of Arc, Katherine the Great, Betsy Ross, etc. The guys are just regular studly guys. The fight each other and are suppose to fall in love or have sex or something. I really, really don't understand. And that is just the TV show. All sorts of other stuff is happening or has happened(?) behind the scenes."
October 5, 2016 –
50.0% "It is interesting, but I am not sure exactly what I am reading. It goes from like a YA Hunger Games thing, to a paranormal book, to a coming of age story, with some literary fiction thrown in. Oh, I forgot there is a Christian fiction element and a historical side also. I am so confused, yet I keep reading..."
October 6, 2016 –
80.0% "I am trying to finish this. I just have no idea what I am reading. I am so confused. I just....IDK!"
October 6, 2016 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Linda (new)

Linda I appreciate your frustration and enjoyed your review. Hopefully, you'll enjoy you next book, Jody.

Jody McGrath Thanks Linda! I appreciate that! :)

message 3: by D.J. (new) - rated it 1 star

D.J. *Mama Bear’s Bookish Den* I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused!

Jody McGrath It really made no sense at all! Lol!