Gabby's Reviews > The Cellar

The Cellar by Natasha Preston

I have mixed feelings when it comes to this book. There are things I liked about it and things that I didn't. I've been wanting to read this book for months now, and I finally picked it up today and started reading it and I couldn't put it down until I finished it. So yes, this book is good enough to keep you entertained for a few hours, and gripping enough that I couldn't put it down, so there's a positive.

Summer is a 16-year-old girl who is abducted by this man named Clover/Colin. He takes her in his white van and drives her to his house in the middle of nowhere where he lives with three other girls he abducted and he re-names her "Lily" and all the other girls also are named after flowers. This book had so much potential, and the idea of this book is intriguing. I have a fascination with books that involve kid-napping, if it's written really well then I think it's super intense and fast-paced and interesting.

Summer is kind of an idiot. She spends most of this book crying and feeling completely hopeless (which is understandable under her circumstances) but it still got repetitive after a while. You really have to suspend your belief while reading this book - I find it hard to believe that four girls can't take on one guy. There were so many opportunities for them to escape - and I could think of so many things they didn't try. Also, the writing itself was pretty bad. I understand that this was originally published on wattpad, and it definitely shows. The vocabulary is very basic and there's never any real descriptions of what characters look like, or anything like that. Also, Colin really wasn't all that scary of a villain. His presence really wasn't that intimidating and even when he was acting out violently I never felt afraid of him. He was such a weak villain and his "reason" for being a psychopath is so cliche. The author tried way too hard to make this like Psycho and try and make Colin like Norman Bates. (view spoiler) Maybe since I read a lot of thrillers my expectations were too high for the ending?

This book was okay. It was definitely good enough to keep me reading for hours and finish it in one sitting, but I'm not as impressed with this book as I thought I would be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Cellar.

October 3, 2016 – Started Reading