abby's Reviews > Under Rose-Tainted Skies

Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

liked it
bookshelves: young-adult, contemporary, romance

2.5 stars. This one just didn't work for me.

Norah is agoraphobic, has OCD, and has not left her house in years apart from trips to the doctor. Her life is pretty much limited to what she can experience online. The only human being she has regular face to face contact with is her devoted and protective mother. Then a cute boy moves next door. For some reason, Luke finds Norah intriguing, if also a bit odd. They strike up a friendship of sorts, which mostly involves Norah staring at him through a window, and then that grows into more as they get to know each other.

I had real frustrations with this book. First, mostly nothing happened. Then there's the "love cures mental illness" thing. I don't think Luke ever gets it; he's always going on about what he and Norah will do "one day"-- that day being when his attention has cured her agoraphobia and they fly off to Paris together. To me, Luke and Norah's relationship was a perfect example of how sometimes a romance like this can't work. It would have been a bittersweet ending, but it would have been real. Instead, the author validates the "cute boy fixes brain" idea by showing that Norah does in fact start to improve because of Luke.

I like Norah, and her relationship with her mother, but not much else. And the ending came out of left field and didn't fit with the rest of the book. Overall, I'm underwhelmed.

I received a copy of this book courtesy of the publisher and NetGalley.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under Rose-Tainted Skies.

October 3, 2016 – Shelved
October 3, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
December 1, 2016 – Started Reading
December 5, 2016 – Finished Reading
December 24, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
December 24, 2016 – Shelved as: contemporary
March 28, 2017 – Shelved as: romance

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by Thamy (new)

Thamy Great review! I was going to request this one, I think I even requested it on Edelweiss and was probably denied. When it became available on Netgalley, however, I had second thoughts. Reading your review made me realize this really doesn't sound like the book for me.

abby Thamy, I think I fell for cover love on this one. I always struggle with mental health YA books-- but a lot of people did like this one.

message 3: by Skye (new)

Skye Kilaen Ugh, no thanks! :(

Camryn W I just finished the book, and I had to see if someone else was also confused by the last two chapters. I'm not alone!