Rachael's Reviews > A Shadow's Breath

A Shadow's Breath by Nicole Hayes

It might be too soon to write this review, I'm still an emotional wreck. I won't give anything away - read the blurb if you want the gist of the story. Instead I'll tell you that I read this book holding my breath. It made my chest tight. That slowly closing fist compressing my heart as I braced for calamity. Now don't get me wrong this book isn't a wallow in misery, there are wonderful moments of humour, awkwardness, tenderness, passion and joy but the cleverly constructed narrative straddling 2 timelines feeds and reflects the building tension in both. The point where the timelines converge brought me to tears. Somehow Nicole Hayes keeps the reader from despair, even though the gut wrenching moments left me wondering how can Tessa (protagonist) recover from this? But I came to the conclusion of A Shadows Breath, yes bruised and aching but, solid and secure on a foundation of hope which is a reflection of Nicole Hayes craft. Her writing is beautiful, measured, nuanced, compelling. The characters are richly drawn. The story carefully handles painful subject matter with sensitivity. I deeply admire Nicole Hayes work, she makes me want to be a better writer. All the stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Shadow's Breath.

October 2, 2016 – Shelved