Sharon's Reviews > Memoirs of a Geisha

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden

Mar 14, 2008

bookshelves: fiction-general

I was pleasantly surprised by this novel because I liked it much more than I thought I would. I got hooked into the story right away because it's a great story. The first half was sort of better than the second half I think because there was a lot of tension before her first man, so to speak. So after that I felt like a lot of the tension had gone. Not all of it, and I still enjoyed it, I just liked the first part better.

It is a fascinating look into the life of a geisha in that time period, and the characters draw you in. You're rooting for some, hating others, etc. The ending surprised me because I had NO idea that it was ultimately leading to that, which made me rethink the second half to see if I missed clues.

All in all I definitely liked it and am looking forward to the movie. I think many people would enjoy it - it would appeal to a fairly wide audience.

As a side note, in reading some of the promo comments from various reviews, many said it is erotic. For those of you who read erotica or even steamy romance novels, ignore that statement. It is not an erotic book in any way. I believe they are referring to the erotic atmosphere that a geisha often invoked to men in that country/time/life. It is not an erotic book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Memoirs of a Geisha.

March 14, 2008 – Shelved
April 22, 2009 – Shelved as: fiction-general
May 26, 2009 –
page 187
43.69% "The story has hooked me in and it's really good. Stayed up way too late last night reading!"
May 27, 2009 –
page 417
97.43% "Beginning seemed a bit better than the end, but I'm still interested!"
Started Reading
May 28, 2009 – Finished Reading

Collette Oh I loved this book!!! I'll be interested to see your take on it. :)

Sharon You know I saw that my friends gave it good reviews, so I'm excited. Leaving Saturday for vacation so it's going to the beach!

Collette Oh fun!!! Enjoy it and get some sun for me!