Ana O's Reviews > Wuthering Heights

Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë

liked it
bookshelves: classics, dark-reads, why, cray-cray-characters, romance-contemporary-and-ya

photo tumblr_moedorC7XV1ss12s7o1_500_zpshsfyb3ah.png

Beware, there are spoilers.

I enjoyed this novel despite hating pretty much everyone in it.

Allow me to explain. This is the kind of novel that exhausts one with never-ending drama. So much drama. So much freaking drama.

The 7 Stages of reading Wuthering Heights:

1. Excitement

2. Confusion

3. Anxiety

4. Fear

5. Anger

6. More anxiety

7. The urge to read something uplifting, like Hamlet

In case you haven't figured it out by now, Emo Wuthering Heights is dark. Dark, gloomy, cold and gothic. Those who know a thing or two about Emily Brontë, also known as Ellis Bell, aren't surprised by the novel's gloominess. No one else could have written this book.

Most of Wuthering Heights' characters are unable to behave like decent human beings. What's with all the animal and child abuse? Why is everyone so rude? Why is everyone so crazy? Why is everyone so unstable? Why is everyone so violent? Why is... aghhhh!

photo www wwww_zpse6mdlw6z.jpg

Wuthering Heights is a story about... you know, Wuthering Heights. It's not only a location, it's so much more than that. It's a character, as real as Heathcliff and Catherine. I can imagine it existing, dark and mysterious, somewhere in the universe. The main protagonists are Heathcliff, an orphan raised by the Earnshaw family, and Catherine Earnshaw, the daughter of the owner of Wuthering Heights.

Heathcliff. He's a I love you so much I'll dig up your corpse kind of guy. His favorite pastime is being haunted by his lady love's ghost. Who's he gonna call? Not Ghostbusters, apparently.

photo portrait_of_heathcliff_by_myrrha_silvenia-d6facld_zpshdrd9man.png

Catherine. Slapped people before it was cool. Throwing shade everywhere.

photo 77f0dc3c718fffe2ae9d58cfb3195d3c_zpsptin9opi.jpg

Catherine and Heathcliff fall madly in love. As Cathy famously says, "whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same." Considering they're both mad, it's really no surprise that Heathcliff and Cathy have a seriously messed up bond.

Heathcliff is no hero. I can't stress this enough. He is perceived by some as heroic. A romantic hero. To that I say- LOL. Heath is no Ralph de Bricassart. He's no Colonel Brandon. He is vindictive, cruel, kicks and kills dogs, is abusive towards other people, has no compassion for anyone but himself. Catherine is hardly a saint, either. She is wild, disruptive, arrogant, selfish, throws temper tantrums, unable to control her emotions. No wonder they became BFFs/soulmates. Truthfully, those two never really grew up. They can't do adult things. Rational thinking, the ability to forgive, selfless love? Forget it, that's not their style.

But despite their many faults, I can't help but feel sorry for them. I always feel sorry for doomed lovers. I try to see the good in everyone. Heath and Cathy DID have redeeming qualities. Their passion was wild and all-consuming, and this was ultimately their undoing.

Now excuse me, I have to go. I think someone's knocking on my window. *cue the gothic music*

photo 3bf00d7ce94385d660dfe0e4bd5eaecd_zpsbyyikuhl.jpg

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wuthering Heights.

Quotes Ana O Liked

Emily Brontë
“If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger.”
Emily Jane Brontë , Wuthering Heights

Emily Brontë
“It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff now; so he shall never know how I love him: and that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same; and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightning, or frost from fire.”
Emily Brontë, Wuthering Heights

January 31, 2017 – Finished Reading
February 7, 2017 – Shelved as: why
February 7, 2017 – Shelved as: cray-cray-characters
March 20, 2017 – Shelved as: romance-contemporary-and-ya

Comments Showing 1-50 of 55 (55 new)

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Hope you enjoy it!!

message 2: by Karen (new)

Karen Enjoy Sweet Ana :) xx

Ana O Thanks lovelies xoxo

message 4: by J. (new)

J. Kahele Enjoy honey :)

Ana O Do my eyes deceive me? Howdy stranger :)

message 6: by J. (new)

J. Kahele Haha very funny <3

Ana O Oh this book is so depressing.

Jasmine I hope you'll love it eventually! The story is really epic. :)

message 10: by Nicola (new)

Nicola Fantastic review, Ana xox

message 11: by Alp (new)

Alp Excellent review, lovely. xx

message 12: by Karla (new)

Karla Terrific review, darlin'! xoxo

Jasmine Aww haha, even though you didn't like it that much, this is still a fabulous review, Anna! lol

✦❋Arianna✦❋ Great review, babe! ;)

Exina Fantastic review, Ana! I enjoyed it very much! :D

Cyndi "The urge to read something uplifting like Hamlet" ha ha Too true!! Great review!

message 17: by Masooma (new)

Masooma w-o-w review or shall I say why is it such a nice review? *wink wink*

Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" Terrific review but these are all negative stages ;-) Not for me at the moment <3

Emer I still can't decide if I love or hate Wuthering Heights. I have this incredibly toxic love affair of my own going on with Heathcliff!! What I do know is this book and Emily... sheer genius!!! Great review Ana :)))

Ana O Karla wrote: "Terrific review, darlin'! xoxo"

Alp wrote: "Excellent review, lovely. xx"

Nicola wrote: "Fantastic review, Ana xox"

Thanks lovelies xoxo

Ana O Jasmine wrote: "Aww haha, even though you didn't like it that much, this is still a fabulous review, Anna! lol"

Thank you Jasmine, I liked this book and disliked it at the same time.

Ana O Masooma wrote: "w-o-w review or shall I say why is it such a nice review? *wink wink*"

Cyndi wrote: ""The urge to read something uplifting like Hamlet" ha ha Too true!! Great review!"

Exina wrote: "Fantastic review, Ana! I enjoyed it very much! :D"

Arianna✦❋SteamyReadsBlog❋✦ wrote: "Great review, babe! ;)"

Thanks ladies xoxo

Ana O Sophie "Beware Of The Reader" wrote: "Terrific review but these are all negative stages ;-) Not for me at the moment <3"

If you're looking for something joyful and romantic, this is not it. Thanks Sophie.

Ana O Emer (ALittleHaze) wrote: "I still can't decide if I love or hate Wuthering Heights. I have this incredibly toxic love affair of my own going on with Heathcliff!! What I do know is this book and Emily... sheer genius!!! Grea..."

Heathcliff is horrible. You must cut all ties with that man! Heed my advice!
lol

message 25: by Maya (new)

Maya Amazing review, sweetie! :)

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ I wasn't worried about spoilers! You just can't spoil this book for me. I accepted long ago that it wasn't for me. *Carol wanders off to look for Kate Bush on You Tube*

Ana O Maya wrote: "Amazing review, sweetie! :)"

Thanks Maya :)

Ana O Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "I wasn't worried about spoilers! You just can't spoil this book for me. I accepted long ago that it wasn't for me. *Carol wanders off to look for Kate Bush on You Tube*"

Oh no don't listen to that song. It's bad. SO BAD. lol

Carol She's So Novel꧁꧂ ♕Ana♕ wrote: "Oh no don't listen to that song. It's bad. SO BAD. lol

I love it! & all that angst is finished in about 3 minutes! ;)

message 30: by Snow (new) - rated it 3 stars

Snow Ah, it s been a really long long time since I ve read this book! Sigh...
Anyway, great review! ;)

Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ Awesome review, A!! :Dxx

Ana O Carol ♔Type, Oh Queen!♕ wrote: "♕Ana♕ wrote: "Oh no don't listen to that song. It's bad. SO BAD. lol

I love it! & all that angst is finished in about 3 minutes! ;)"

Hahaha I like your logic.

Ana O Snow wrote: "Ah, it s been a really long long time since I ve read this book! Sigh...
Anyway, great review! ;)"

I'm still recovering from it. Thanks Lady Snow :)

Ana O Jessica-❥Chatterbooks Book Blog❥ wrote: "Awesome review, A!! :Dxx"

Thanks J! ;)

message 35: by Aileene (new)

Aileene Goodness! This book remind me of my English class and the essay (again) I had to do.
It also reminded me how the class was divided into half for a debate - students that liked and not liked it. And I was nowhere as I liked and disliked it.
Lovely review, sweets.

message 36: by Jessica's (new)

Jessica's Totally Over The Top Book Obsession I had to read this one in high school and I hated the h and h so much lol

Aj the Ravenous Reader Bahaha! Love this review so much, Ana. Your seven stages are spot on!

Alba and Her Secrets..♥ Amazing review, sweets!! :) xx

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~ Odličan review, draga! Ni meni se nije sviđala, ali dati manje od tri zvjezdice bio bi kriminal ako se uzme u obzir kakvih sve autora i knjiga danas ima :)

Ana O Aileene wrote: "Goodness! This book remind me of my English class and the essay (again) I had to do.

Love it or hate it, you can't forget it. Thanks lovely xx

Ana O Jessica's wrote: "I had to read this one in high school and I hated the h and h so much lol"

They're quite awful, aren't they lol

Ana O Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Bahaha! Love this review so much, Ana. Your seven stages are spot on!"

Thanks dear :)

Ana O Alba and Her Secrets..♥ wrote: "Amazing review, sweets!! :) xx"

Thanks Alba xx

Ana O Anna's Ramblings ☘ ͏͏ wrote: "Odličan review, draga! Ni meni se nije sviđala, ali dati manje od tri zvjezdice bio bi kriminal ako se uzme u obzir kakvih sve autora i knjiga danas ima :)"

Dugo mi je trebalo da se odlučim za ocjenu. Likovi su grozni i knjiga je depresivna ali je odlično napisana. Pravi gotički horor. Ne znam zašto ljudi misle da je ovo ljubavni roman.

~Anna's ƦªϻƁℓℹռg$~ ♕Ana♕ wrote: "Anna's Ramblings ☘ ͏͏ wrote: "Odličan review, draga! Ni meni se nije sviđala, ali dati manje od tri zvjezdice bio bi kriminal ako se uzme u obzir kakvih sve autora i knjiga danas ima :)"

Dugo mi j..."

Zbog filma valjda.

message 46: by Karen (new)

Karen Glad you enjoyed it Ana :) xx

Ana O Anna's Ramblings ☘ ͏͏ wrote: "♕Ana♕ wrote: "Anna's Ramblings ☘ ͏͏ wrote: "Odličan review, draga! Ni meni se nije sviđala, ali dati manje od tri zvjezdice bio bi kriminal ako se uzme u obzir kakvih sve autora i knjiga danas ima ..."

Nisam nikad gledala ni jedan film snimljen po ovoj knjizi. Ali čujem da je Tom Hardy glumio u jednoj verziji pa možda pogledam :)

Ana O Karen wrote: "Glad you enjoyed it Ana :) xx"

Thanks Karen :)

Aisling Zena Brilliant review Ana! It's such a depressing read, you just feel so wrecked by the end of it. xx

message 50: by Judith (new)

Judith This takes me way back to my youth!! Terrific review,darling!

« previous 1