Emma's Reviews > Dancers in the Wind

Dancers in the Wind by Anne Coates

This is a very enjoyable novel which I devoured in the space of 24 hours. No scrap that, it was more like 7 hours which for me, is super speed reading. I couldn’t put it down. Once I became immersed in Hannah and Caroline’s tale, I was hooked! Before starting this book I wasn’t sure what to expect. The cover suggested murder and violence but the title…didn’t! I now know why the book is called Dancers in the Wind and I feel a little silly. It all fits perfectly!

Freelance journalist Hannah Weybridge is working on a feature to coincide with the release of a television documentary featuring young prostitute, Princess and new copper on block, DI Tom Jordan. The interview with Princess opens Hannah’s eyes and she hears things about life on the streets that she would prefer not to. With DI Jordan it’s clear to see the sparks fly but Hannah is far too professional to make anything of it. And DI Jordan has enough on his plate trying to solve the murder of a local prostitute. When the body of a second girl is found Tom is suddenly aware that the first murder was not the work of an overly frisky punter but something much more sinister.

Hannah meanwhile is getting on with her life, having forgotten all about the prostitute and the cop; she has a six month old daughter to care for and being a single mum she needs the phone to ring with more work. But instead of the phone ringing, the doorbell rings late one night. On her doorstep Hannah finds the badly beaten body of Princess, she’s barely alive. Against her better judgement Hannah gives the girl shelter and cleans her up. But what has Princess brought to Hannah’s door? Are Hannah and her baby daughter safe? And will those responsible be held to account for their actions, or are they beyond the reach of the law…?

One of the things that stood out for me in this book is the fact that the main protagonist is a journalist rather than a detective or PI. She’s not really an investigative reporter either, she’s just a normal mum trying to do the best for her baby daughter. That appealed to me and I found it refreshing (surely I’m not growing tired of my grumpy, addiction riddled cops…am I?). Granted, DI Tom Jordan does feature quite heavily but he is by no means the star of the show. This story belongs to Hannah and Princess (AKA Caroline).

It’s a gritty read and in some places quite shocking. My attention was held from the opening chapters to the very end. Once I’d finished the book I felt quite bereft and wanted more (there is a sequel on the way – no pressure, Anne Coates!).

This is another read where you suspect pretty much every character at one point or another. I always enjoy books which use that formula as I’m always keen to hone my detective skills.

Would I recommend this book? I most certainly would. Brilliant characters with heaps of mystery to keep you guessing. A thoroughly enjoyable and absorbing read.

Four and a half stars out of five.

Many thanks to Liz Barnsley, Urbane Publications, NetGalley and Anne Coates for providing me with a copy of Dancers in the Wind in exchange for honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancers in the Wind.

September 30, 2016 – Started Reading