Bitsy's Reviews > Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 24

Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 24 by Hiromu Arakawa

Jun 16, 2011

bookshelves: graphic-novel, manga, fantasy, science-fiction, steampunk, young-adult

The finale continues in Volume 24 as Hohenheim confronts the dwarf in the flask, now a powerful homunculus striving for more, hoping to end this last battle before it has a chance to truly begin. The surprise Hohenheim has up his sleeve is both awe inspiring amazing and completely heartbreaking. What the dwarf in the flask has up his sleeve though might prove too much for Hohenheim to face alone.

The battle above ground isn't going much better. The palace is captured and victory seems to finally be at hand, but we should know better by now as the rug is pulled out from under us. King Bradley survived his assassination attempt and is now set to turn the tide. A battle ensues that involves devastating causalities and surprising reappearances of old friends to try and stem the onslaught as the military attempts to recapture the palace.

What none of them seem to realize is they are nothing but pawns in plans to completely demolish the entire nation to grant immortality to the upper echelons in the corrupt Amestris government. Our heroes even lose sight of this end goal and in getting lost in the battles with the immortal dolls, the central soldiers, and various homunculi they risk forgetting what they are really up against. The cliffhanger ending reminds us all there is much, much more to come.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 24.